• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the end (of CDMA) near?

AntimonyER

CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
Jun 18, 2010
Statesboro, GA
According to this:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/2...es-to-launch-late-next-year-along-with-volte/

Verizon will be activating VoLTE phones by the end of 2014, a year and a half basically. Just in time for the launch of an unlocked Nexus 6 w/ VoLTE perhaps?

For all of us bummed about phone choice on a CDMA carrier, it seems the light at the end of the tunnel is now a known quantity. :party:

Unless of course Verizon succeeds in getting Block C regs watered down. :p

They still have a lot of work to do before this truly becomes a viable option. I have 4G all around me but not on my street, there are a lot of 'blank' areas still. 3G is very strong here, just no 4G in a 1/2 mile or so radius. Until they get it up and running in all the nooks and crannies a lot of folks can't benefit. I do hope they employ the little booster box thingies soon, I want my 4G at my house!

In the big picture though, I can't wait for VoLTE and single radio coverage. Right now it's like when they were switching from analog to digital, hit or miss for a long while. 2014 sounds good but they better step things up!

Upvote 0
They are also rolling out LTE 2 which is 1700mhz and 2100mhz next year and I don't think the c block restrictions apply. I will see what i can dig up.

Update: LTE 2 is just going to be used lesson the load closer to the towers and won't be as wide spread in coverage as 4g is now. That's what I can piece together for now so c block should still be in play.

Does anybody know if VoLTE will use data or voice minutes for billing purposes?

Upvote 0
Verizon as a GSM type carrier would be so nice.

Yes it would. That would open up territory to more phones and have phone releases come to VZW almost as soon as they are released. That would make things easier on OEM's which could help curb costs since they wouldn't have to make varients and wouldn't have to file additional claims with the FCC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones