• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is the eris on the out

Prime

May 12, 2010
is the HTC Droid Eris on the out

I have seen a few threads with people saying that it is being outed on verizon.

should I be worried seeing as Im going to be getting one in the next few days

its the only droid phone I can afford right now. plus I have messed around with one and I really like it.

OPINIONS PLEASE!

It is being discontinued for sale at the end of this month, the LG Ally is supposed to replace it as the mid level android phone. I like mine, if you like it too go for it.

As far as the ally is concerned I have had mixed luck with their phones, and this will be their first Android, and it is not much faster than ours. But I would consider it over an Eris if I were buying a new phone, but I wouldn't buy it before it drops and it gets reviewed.

It is possible that 2.1 will be the last update it receives. But I personally think it will receive some of the parts of 2.2 (minus flash of course) to speed it up. I think that migrating from 2.1 to 2.2 will be easier than from 1.5 to 2.1. Especially with no changes to sense.

I would weigh that into your consideration for purchase, but if it is all you can afford I would not worry about it. There will ALWAYS be phones being EOL and new phones coming out.

If it is a large concern specifically ask for a 1 year contract and pay a little more.

Upvote 0
I want to get the eris because I want a a phone that not everyone has. I have 3-4 friends that have the moto droid and I won't want to follow suit. I might try to go halfzies with my dad on the droid. the only thing I didn't like on the droid was the keyboard. it didn't feel responsive at all.

Upvote 0
Im probably gonna go with the eris at this point. of course if the Ally gets good reviews I will do the exchange before 30 days is up. I just like the feel the the eris it feels like a solid phone with really clean lines and such.

I don't know yet once I get to bestbuy this week I will figure it all out.

Upvote 0
The price of the Eris does not make a difference when you are paying so much for service. The Eris is discontinued because of very outdated hardware.

Avoid the Eris and get the Incredible. I switched from the Eris to Inc. and would never go back. Eris is just way too slow IMO.

5th element? Is that you? Eris is ok yes incredible is better but as a phone the Eris very good. Great reception and talks great! I'd buy another if I had a need.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones