1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Is the FM radio RDS?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Good Old Bakes, May 31, 2010.

1. Good Old Bakes

Good Old Bakes Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    I didn't think it was but a guy on another site swears it is. I must admit, I've not had much call to use it but when I've tried it, albeit in a poor signal area, I could never get it to display the station name.

Advertisement

2. lekky

lekky Lover

What does rds mean?

3. sharpey

sharpey Member

May 7, 2010
    Male
    Kent, UK
    Radio Data System - it automatically shows you the station name and some scrolling text info also it will change the station frequency automatically if it starts to get weak, ive tried the radio a couple of times but i havent noticed it being RDS

4. mad

mad Member

May 30, 2010
    Similar XDA thread:
    desire's fm radio - xda-developers

As far as I see on mine, RDS works but very badly.
    It's very long to display, it doesn't display the name all the time, it also seems to need a perfect signal and work only on very few French stations (RTL2, Pluriel)

5. fortexg

fortexg New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Hi, new to Android world...
    First Android/Desire impression: still needs a lot of work to be great, really useful & stable - Handspring/Palm Treo history repeating (gone through Treos 180/270/600/650/680 with all their issues...)

I agree with mad - RDS works, but very badly.

- Only RDS PI (station name) seems to be implemented, there is no other RDS functions (like in car stereos) - EON, AF, TA/TP, PTY,...
    - signal needs to be at least 5/7 for PI to work
    - works better after turning the radio off/on, then stops again when tuning to another station

Other issues with FM radio application:
    - hang on my Desire - phone did not even shutdown; had to remove battery (I know, I need a task killer...)
    - stereo/mono switch does nothing even on 7/7 signal strength (always just mono)
    - no preset +/- buttons on phone interface (only scan+/-)
    - the original headphone buttons should double as volume control (as on ipod shuffle)

6. Scary

Scary Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Interesting, I tried out the radio on mine today for the first time (I went up a big hill overlooking London so I could get a decent reception and auto scan) and was surprised that one of the presets filled in it's name automatically. It was 'BBC Londn' so I assumed it was RDS because of the 9 character version.

A preset up/down would be nice as would the ability to reorder them. Also it switches the radio off when the camera comes on for some reason

Tags: