• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the hero the best phone sprint has?

phonegirl81

Apr 16, 2010
Hi everyone :) so my first touch screen was a palm treo and i loved it then went to a couple other basic phone and then got a blackberry curve i loved it but now i want to get a touch screen phone- a full touch screen... I am not sure weather i want the HTC Hero or the moment can you give me your opinions? Thank you :)
sorry for the confusion everyone I am new to this site :)

Droid versus Moment.... at this point, if you have either option and are willing to pay more for your plan per month, get a Droid. Moment has many issues and I honestly gave mine up for a Hero. I'm happy with the Hero, it's usable.

My main beef with the Moment is it's CDMA lockups. This equates to, simply, the phone part of the phone stops working; no more sending text messages, no more phone calls, and no more internet. Anything that deals with data or a connection to the towers is out of the question, at which point you are forced to pull the battery out.

My Hero doesn't have this problem, and I am more than willing to take lag in several areas of the phone over not being able to use it. Pulling the battery out of my phone 4-9 times a day to me just wasn't worth it. Then, even with the 2.1 leak version, CDMA lockups are happening, questionably more often so than on 1.5.

Droid is nearly issue free, and it's a more technologically advanced phone. I say, if you have that option, grab it. If not, the Hero aint bad, or you could get the Moment with said issues. I've had my Hero for 3 days now, only one restart required yesterday because I couldn't move stuff around on my home screens. Other than this one occurrence, I feel the Hero is a better choice (on Sprint for an Android).

As far as the Hero being the 'best' phone Sprint has, I really couldn't/don't want to answer that. I can't give a non-biased answer to that, seeing as I've tried to use several windows mobile phones and just find that I don't like the OS at all. The Touch Pro 2 I HEAR isn't a bad phone, but it costs a lot, when compared to other phones Sprint offers. Choice is yours dude, but Droid vs. Moment I say Droid at this point.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone :) so my first touch screen was a palm treo and i loved it then went to a couple other basic phone and then got a blackberry curve i loved it but now i want to get a touch screen phone- a full touch screen... I am not sure weather i want the droid or the moment can you give me your opinions? Thank you :)

Sprint doesn't sell the droid...????

Upvote 0
Hey, we don't know how old she is either, could be some giddy 14 year old who texts all day and is used to text message speak, or could be some 30 year old. Never know, just treat everyone the same.

I wasn't treating her any way. Was confused what she was asking. I am more than willing to offer anyone my meager help when asked a legitimate question. I was trying to clarify in order to help, that's all.;)

Upvote 0
I think the OP is thinking the Hero is a Droid, and the Moment is not.

OP, the Hero and Moment are both Android based phones, similar the the Droid that Verizon advertises. While opinions vary, most here will tell you the Hero is the best phone available from Sprint and I'm one of those people.

The more expensive Touch Pro2 is a Windows based phone suited more for business and work type stuff. I've only played with one very briefly but didn't care for it.

If you're getting a phone now and want something fun with lots of free apps, go for the Hero. If you can wait a few months and have a few hundred bucks to spend, get the Evo when it comes out.

Upvote 0
Well seeing as I've used both, I'm with the Hero. It does lag quite a bit especially in the keyboard dept but its bareable overall. The moment is a great snappy device but I can't use vanilla Android after using the Hero. After the 2.1 update the Hero should be even better. Not to say the Moment won't be great too

Upvote 0
Droid versus Moment.... at this point, if you have either option and are willing to pay more for your plan per month, get a Droid. Moment has many issues and I honestly gave mine up for a Hero. I'm happy with the Hero, it's usable.

My main beef with the Moment is it's CDMA lockups. This equates to, simply, the phone part of the phone stops working; no more sending text messages, no more phone calls, and no more internet. Anything that deals with data or a connection to the towers is out of the question, at which point you are forced to pull the battery out.

My Hero doesn't have this problem, and I am more than willing to take lag .

First on The Moment. My wife has this phone and NEVER has she had to take out the battery or even reboot the phone due to any of what is listed above. It has been a very good phone esp since the last update. Her battery life is good and she loves it. If you want external Keyboard this is the one IMO.

I have the Hero and would not trade it for anything esp the Droid. If you are even a little knowledgeable about computers and such rooting thos thing is as easy as it gets and then you can have the 2.1 Roms now and they are fast fast and fast. Either is a good choice and android is GREAT IMO. Not saying the above poster did not have issues I am just saying since my wife has had her Moment (Nov 2009) she has not had any of those problems.

Upvote 0
I've got a Hero, and I love it! I switched to the Hero from the Blackberry Curve, biiiiiig difference! I'm pretty happy running the stock ROM that came with it, though, I did root my Hero to boost performance. I also just installed the Gumbo Kernel w/ setCPU, and now it is incredibly fast. I would have to say that the Hero is definitely one of Sprints top phones. But, this summer, the EVO is coming out. I am seriously contemplating upgrading to that when it comes out. Not only for all the new things you can do with it, but also for the increased internal storage.

At the same time though, it will (hopefully) have 2.1 installed. I'm sure by then though that there will be a tutorial on how to root it 2.1 if 2.1 is released by then.

Upvote 0
In my humble opinion, yes, at this current time.

One main reason is... Android OS!

In brief... All smartphones have their issues, seeing you have experienced the Palm you no doubt know all about little to none battery life. If you used WinMo OS, well then, there's plenty of torture there too. The Android OS at least offers many avenues to compliment and or fix any issues involved with the handset, something not possible with the older Sprint phones, well not as easy at least.

Until the next best thing, yeah, the Hero is Sprints Best.

Just my humble opinion.

:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones