• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Hero very slow and laggy?

Greg Di

Lurker
Jun 6, 2010
I have an EVO. Love it. It's fast with no lag.

I got my wife a HERO and it appears to be a flaming piece of shlt compared to the EVO in terms of speed.

EVERYTHING is just slow and laggy. Switching apps, loading apps, you name it. For me to use, it's unbearable. Seems like an iPhone.

Is this just processor related or what? I might just get her an EVO to shut her up at this point because I can't take the whining.

BTW, this phone is 2 weeks old, so I am assuming Firmware and software is 100% up to date.

Hi Greg,

I've never seen an Evo, but yes the Hero is laggy. Yours will be on firmware v1.5, which is slower than the new v2.1. You can wait for your service provider to send out an official upgrade or look in this forum for the thread about unbranding and upgrading unofficially to v2.1, or you can root the Hero. Lots of choices and reading the threads here will help a lot.

I unbranded my Hero from 3UK and then upgraded to an unofficial 2.1. It made a big difference to the speed overall, but did not remove the lag. I think this is mostly due to the CPU in the Hero being quite old and relatively slow and partly the immaturity of Android. This will improve as updates are released.

The Hero can be frustrating, but you can definitely help matters by upgrading the firmware and just being a bit savvy with the way you use and manage it. Again, I'd strongly advise reading around this forum. There are some very knowledgeable people here with a lot of good advice.

Hope that helps a bit.

All the best,
Jim

Upvote 0
You could always switch to a custom firmware.

The official 1.5 firmware your hero is on is miles away from the overclocked 2.2 with jit you could be running :) Even just upgrading to the official 2.1 would be an improvement.

Still, I've never used an Evo, but from what I've heard, you're never going to coax the same level of performance out of the Hero.

Upvote 0
I have an EVO. Love it. It's fast with no lag.

I got my wife a HERO and it appears to be a flaming piece of shlt compared to the EVO in terms of speed.

Well, considering the gap in time and technology between the Hero and the EVO that's not really so surprising, is it? A slower processor, less memory, less capable display.... they're at least two generations apart.

However, seeing as you (a) specifically compare it to the EVO and (b) appear to be a Verizon customer, I'm assuming that your wife in fact has the Sprint Hero which is a completely different beast to our GSM device. I'll therefore move this thread to the Sprint Hero forum.

Upvote 0
My wife owns an Evo and I own a rooted Hero....

I personally think my ROOTED Hero is faster than her brand new stock Evo.

This.

My rooted/OC'd Hero is at the very least just as fast as my coworkers Evo, if not faster (or seemingly faster).

Now I don't feel so bad about being stuck with the Hero for the next 8 months. Hell, I might even keep it longer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones