• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Moto X the heir apparent for us GNex users? Are you thinking about it?

Thank you! You are spot on with everything you said. I don't understand the excessive hype for a mid range phone either. If you look around any Android website....people are actually going gaga for this thing. lol I understand what kind of customers Motorola is aiming for but for people to say this is the best thing ever, need to stop. Is it better than my Galaxy Nexus? Yes. Is it enough to upgrade? No. I'm looking for the Note 3 or the next Nexus.
It really depends what you're looking for in a phone. I feel like much of the specs in the upper end devices, are used to win a hardware war, where one cannot be won with software. I don't really need a 1080 display draining more battery, and I've watched as people deactivated cores, which seems counter to the purpose of buying a higher spec phone-- most of all, I've long stopped doing benchmark tests, and place much more emphasis on how the device feels and utilizes the advertised features, day-to-day (to that end, I'm not as wild about the GS4).

If the Moto X can prove that good and meaningful integration of software and hardware produces an A+ product, then I see much reason to be excited about it, even if it turns out it isn't the phone for me. Of course, the best idea is to wait and see (especially regarding the price), but I'm actually fine with many of the specs, and about the only thing I'd wish for, is a bigger battery, if that will even matter.

If it so much as accounts for the small list of shortcomings that I've had with my GN, I'll actually be happy. So yeah, bring on the hype...it's refreshing to see such a push, without trying to one-up in the hardware arena.

Upvote 0
I've owned a Droid X and the Gnex on Verizon. I love the customization of the Gnex but the battery and signal I get suck compares to what the X used to get or the newer Moto's get. My phone doesn't have to do the heavy lifting on the go anymore, thats what I bought a tablet for. If this phone comes released at around $300 it is an excellent buy for all the people on Verizon wanting to keep the unlimited data.
I trust Moto to make a good phone, and the update track record has been improving lately for them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones