• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Nexus One all its cracked up to be?

I'm coming from an iPhone 3G and it rocks.

General Review

Same here, I'm not gonna lie, i've been a fan of apple for a few years, and stood in line to get all 3 of the iPhones. But this google phone is just as good as the apple, and then takes it further a few notches. I love the camera, pictures are awesome, the screen makes the iPhone look as if its foggy, and is not nearly as clear. The form factor, this thing is definitely sexy (Paris Hilton would own one and call it HAWT) lol, and it is even more curvy than an iPhone. I love how they used the teflon as it doesn't feel "cheap" persay the iPhone...I love the apps that android has over apple, and hate the iPhone people that compare app quantity over quality.

The trackball rocks, I like how it pulses to let me know if i have any new notifications, the iPhone doesn't have anything.

Replaceable battery, expandable Micro card...

I used the phone in the car, and thought I would test out the new "noise canceling" microphone. I put down the window while talking on the phone, and then asked the person I was talking to if it sounded any different, and they said they couldn't even notice. This phone also sounds A LOT more clear than any of the iPhones ive used/owned. It sounds like a landline :)

Camera flash is pretty darn good, sometimes will washout a pic if youre way too close, so just back up :)

Did i mention an amazing screen? Browser speeds are faster on the nexus than my 3gs, both loading at same time same site...

Keyboard is very nice to use, this is fairly similar to the iPhone, I like the fact I can add words to a dictionary, and also it has haptic feedback. The speech to text feature works beautifully for me and I have used it to send texts, to look up things online, and for navigation all without a problem.

Google voice is DA SHYT... I love having the voicemail be in a text form and have it emailed to me for proof that someone did indeed give me that voicemail so I have more than 1 form of showing something...also good for hearing impaired i was thinking...

Few negatives I have found are that the screen attracts finger prints, maybe a little more so than the 3gs. Also, I am having problems setting up my mac mail, and yahoo mail and will have to figure this out...

Fav apps thus far -

-Google goggles, this impresses everyone I show it to
-Ringdroid, awesome coming from an iphone, getting free ringtones was a pain
-movies which I used a lot on the iPhone...
-Facebook integration on the phone is awesome... it really brings everything together when you sync your contacts with facebook. (I didn't want to have 300 contacts so I manually edited each contact, then clicked the menu button and then the join button and selected it off of facebook VERY simple..)
Google maps, works awesome compared to the iPhones maps... the iPhone will get you there, but sometimes i'll make a wrong turn because its hard to figure out what the hell the compass means and where its facing...just never worked all too well for me. I love hearing where I am going, and when to turn etc, A REAL NAVIGATION :) turn by turn.

Hope I answered a few questions in there, if anyone is wondering anything else, I'd be happy to answer questions, no donations needed :D (haha)

P.S My GF who also has a 3GS keeps asking if I want to trade hahahahah, no thanks :D
P.P.S- I have tried many new phones in the past year. The Iphone 3GS, Palm Pre, Sprint hero, and this is my favorite phone- I won't be bringing it back for a refund. Oh, and I like being different, every dayum kid on campus has an iPhone...grrr

Upvote 0
I'd like to get a few more opinions on people going from the droid to the n1

I have both the Droid and the Nexus One.

I absolutly love the Droid as far as it's speed, screen and the functionality of Android 2.0. However, I hated the keyboard and the additional bulk creaks that come along with a slider keyboard. I went so far as to try out the Droid Eris simply because I liked the form factor better (that didn't last too long as I found HTC's Sense to be a little too buggy for my taste)

To me, the Nexus One has all the benefits of the Droid with the form factor of the Eris, which makes it the perfect phone for me.

The improvements in Android 2.1 are nice, but not breath taking (as compared to the 2.0.1 on the Droid) The speed difference is appreciated but, also, not exceptionaly better than the Droid. In situations where there may have been a very slight lag in the Droid, there is none in the Nexus One.

You can't remove the carrier from the equation. In my case, I have good 3G coverage in my area for both TMobile and Verizon. Given the fact that TMobile just upgraded their 3G network to do 7.2 downloads, I'm happy to be on TMobile . However, for most, Verizon is a better choice as far as carriers go when you look at coverage. When you look at plans, TMobile blows Verizon away. I'm paying $24 less per month and I'm getting a much better plan (unlimited minutes as opposed to 900 and unlimited use of TMobile hot spots)

I also like that the Nexus One is unlocked because if TMobile gives me issues, I can go to ATT (their 3G network sucks, but I was very happy with their Edge network on the original iPhone) There may not be any 3G, but I'm more likely to be on WiFi anyways. I can also pop in a local SIM card when I travel internationally, which is a big plus to me.

If you are considering the Nexus One and are planning to use it on TMobile, I would recommend getting it unlocked at the unsubsidized price if it's possible for you. If you do the math, you'll end up paying less over the course of a 2 year contract than you would locked into the TMobile $80/month plan they force you into. TMobile actually charges LESS for plans when you don't get a subsidized phone. So, if you can stomach the up front costs, you get an unlocked phone with no contract and pay less per month.

Sorry for the rambling post. The short answer is that the Nexus One does not blow the Droid out of the water performance wise, but it offers a much better form factor. That was a big deal to me, it may not be to you.

Upvote 0
I love this phone and I am extremely pleased with it. The 530 I paid was totally worth it. I have used all major smartphones over the past year and I believe hands down this one is my favorite. I always loved Android but HATED the G1 that I had. I quickly got rid of it and waited for something that would show Androids true potential. This is it, the Nexus 1.

Upvote 0
If you are considering the Nexus One and are planning to use it on TMobile, I would recommend getting it unlocked at the unsubsidized price if it's possible for you. If you do the math, you'll end up paying less over the course of a 2 year contract than you would locked into the TMobile $80/month plan they force you into. TMobile actually charges LESS for plans when you don't get a subsidized phone. So, if you can stomach the up front costs, you get an unlocked phone with no contract and pay less per month.

All N1s are unlocked. Just FYI for anyone that's reading this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones