• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the phone worth getting now? Or wait for HTC Glacier?

in my opinion, it seems like it's going to come down to what kind of features the HTC Glacier will pack in with it. Looking at the numbers, the CPU/GPU seem to be on par with eachother. sure, the glacier may have the dual core(it has only been assumed to be a dual core last i knew), but the numbers are still very comparable to that of the vibrant's. in the end, it all depends on the features. if you truly want the superior phone, wait to get more information on the HTC Glacier before making your decision. As a vibrant owner, i am extremely happy with my phone. The vibrant is an amazing phone, and i feel that samsung has fully redeemed themselves with it. it is a monster. i am working on putting quake3 on it, and i am going to try and get counter strike on it. i too am interested in the glacier, but i won't get a new phone until my contract is up. by that time, i will be looking at probably the successor to the galaxy s lineup, or some other new phone that has yet to be mentioned. either way, whichever phone you get, i'm sure you'll be set for quite awhile.

Upvote 0
I would not buy the vibrant. I would wait. Lets look at the facts.
1. GPS issue
2. freezing issue
3. compass issue (may be related to GPS)
4. signal or antenna issue
5. Samsung issue, they keep selling a know phone that is broken.
6. TM issue, they keep selling a phone with know issues.
7. TM has no other phone in the same caliber of what the vibrant was suppose to be.
8. And it is looking like their will be and is no fix for these phones. It has been a month and a half since these phones were developed with no fix. I believe that all purchasers of these phones have been duped and both of these companies are just blowing smoke up our @*$$. so to speak.

I find it despicable that both of these companies are waffling about this situation just to make a buck. In fact, It looks like all of the cell phone companies are doing the same thing with these phones and if there was a company that was honest about the situation I would switch or if I did not need a cell phone I would cancel my contract completely.

Upvote 0
1. GPS issue
2. freezing issue
7. TM has no other phone in the same caliber of what the vibrant was suppose to be.
8. And it is looking like their will be and is no fix for these phones. It has been a month and a half since these phones were developed with no fix. I believe that all purchasers of these phones have been duped and both of these companies are just blowing smoke up our @*$$. so to speak.

I find it despicable that both of these companies are waffling about this situation just to make a buck. In fact, It looks like all of the cell phone companies are doing the same thing with these phones and if there was a company that was honest about the situation I would switch or if I did not need a cell phone I would cancel my contract completely.

Of the 8 things you listed, i have a slight issue with 1. And that is the GPS which has worked both times ive used it but it does take a little bit to connect.

The other things i dont have an issue with at all. But i have to say ive never used a compass on any phone ive had. Dont see why it is even on there.

As for your last issue. I cant agree yet. The phone hasnt even been out a month yet and they said they are working on a solution.
If you just need a PHONE, then go get regular phone and not a smartphone and YOUR issues are solved.

Upvote 0
Simply put there will be a new top dog android phone every 3 - 4 months so if you wait for the next best phone your going to end up waiting for ever.... my opinion is that its the best phone out right now and worth the purchase....

this ^ and i love mine! the camera on this thing alone was worth the price to me. i love not needing a point and shoot with me i can just pull out my phone and take better pics than most cameras anyways plus the HD video. that alone make it worth it in my book. plus once the GPS is fixed i will have 0 complaints with this phone

Upvote 0
My Verizon 2 year contract has ended recently and I am going to get on a T-Mobile Family Plan. I'm really stuck on if I should wait for the HTC Glacier, which is supposed to be some new aged dual core superphone, or just go with the Vibrant. The Vibrant seems to be yin or yang for some people. Just would like the opinions of current Vibrant users. Go for it now, or wait?

Thank you

I agree with noonehereyet, 03machine and Vegas Touch, you could end up waiting forever if you use that logic. Don't believe all the hypernegative naysayers.

1. The GPS on my phone works 100% of the time, sometimes it takes a minute or two to lock but my $300 Garmin dedicated GPS does that as well.

2. I have never had a "freezing issue" I don't know what that is. I use my phone all day long. I'm self employed and receive business calls, emails and sms all day long with no lock ups. The Vibrant is Internet friendly and a joy to use.

3. I have yet to have a phone of any type that has the reception of the Vibrant. It works in places where my previous phones haven't gotten a signal.

As far as display quality there is nothing that even comes close at Tmobile. My suggestion is get the Vibrant and enjoy it. No way I would settle for less.

Upvote 0
1. GPS issue
Has many fixes already.
2. freezing issue
My phone has never frozen on me, and for the people it has happened to, they just factory reset their phone/return it and they are perfectly fine.
I think it is fixed with the GPS fix.
No signal problems what so ever.
They are working on the problems. Every new phone has problems. Iphone 4 has no signal issue, Evo had light leakage, etc. No new phone is perfect, by the time Froyo comes most of the problems will be fixed.
Issues are being fixed.
Vibrant is what it was supposed to be, a top of the line phone.
You need to do more research.

I find it despicable that you know nothing and you are bashing on the phone. Samsung is definitely supporting, because it is their top of the line phone! They have to! Don't say 'Behold 2 was a disaster don't buy samsung phones!' because they just wanted to make a cheap phone for users who don't have a lot of money or are on a budget.

And btw, if samsung doesn't support the phone (which it will), there is this forum called the XDA...

To OP: Get the Galaxy S, faster than any current HTC phone with the Snapdragon and faster than the Glacier (proven in the benchmark-able scores). Not only that, it will have a huge following because it will be on every major carrier in the world!

Upvote 0
Has many fixes already.

My phone has never frozen on me, and for the people it has happened to, they just factory reset their phone/return it and they are perfectly fine.

I think it is fixed with the GPS fix.

No signal problems what so ever.

They are working on the problems. Every new phone has problems. Iphone 4 has no signal issue, Evo had light leakage, etc. No new phone is perfect, by the time Froyo comes most of the problems will be fixed.

Issues are being fixed.

Yeah, Vibrant is the best.

You need to do more research.

I find it despicable that you know nothing and you are bashing on the phone. Samsung is definitely supporting, because it is their top of the line phone! They have to! Don't say 'Behold 2 was a disaster don't buy samsung phones!' because they just wanted to make a cheap phone for users who don't have a lot of money or are on a budget.

And btw, if samsung doesn't support the phone (which it will), there is this forum called the XDA...

To OP: Get the Galaxy S, faster than any current HTC phone with the Snapdragon and faster than the Glacier (proven in the benchmarkable scores).

thumbsup.gif
Nice post Nick - agreed on all counts.

Reactions: nickdog670
Upvote 0
Simply put there will be a new top dog android phone every 3 - 4 months so if you wait for the next best phone your going to end up waiting for ever.... my opinion is that its the best phone out right now and worth the purchase....

Amen, don't get caught up in playing the waiting game. This is the world of technology. Something better will always come along in the span of a few months. So if you want something, live in the now and enjoy it.

Upvote 0
Buy it for the super AMOLED screen. Because in a sea of minimalist smartphones made up of one giant screen and no real room for design, the screen will do the talking. And the vibrant is the only one of its kind and will be the only one of its kind because Samsung isn't planning on sharing the super AMOLED tech with anyone for the next 12 months and even regular AMOLED screens are scarce nowadays.

Upvote 0
I cant believe that everyone is bashing what I listed as facts to do with my phone, whats really interesting is that samsung said their working on it, they did not say that it would be fixed.

If you bought a car and you found out that 30% of the model cars like the one that you bought had a problem (lets say a wheel would fall of win you least expected it)and the manufacturer said they were working on it, you would be pissed, especially if you knew that it was a known problem and that they kept selling the car. keep in mind that you paid for a car to work and not work part of the time.

If the knew update is suppose to fix all known problems with the phone then all samsung had to say is that these issues would be fixed at such and such a date, but they didn't. you have to ask yourself why? Do you honestly think that samsung would recall all of the phones if it is found that its a hardware issue?

I'm looking at facts not pie in the sky. I have tried all of the gps fixes out there and my phones gps works sometimes and has failed to get a fix the last three times, it cant even tell me where I am, most of the time. If I open certain apps the screen will go black and I have to take the battery out just to un-freeze the phone. It has done this on the contacts list twice. the phone has been reset back to factory specs twice now and it will work great for several days and it slowly gets progressively worse. I am sending it back this week and exchanging it for a another phone, I just haven't decided what phone. There is a post from someone who use to work with TM customer service talking about there policies when dealing with phone issues that I think every one should read, its on XDA.

I signed a new two year contract and paid a couple hundred dollars for this phone, I had full expectations that it would perform and if it had problems they would be resolved in a reasonable amount of time, what is reasonable in this case, one week, two weeks, three weeks? they've know about it for six in a half weeks allready and haven't even given their customers an apology or a date of when to expect these problems to be resolved and they keep selling these phones, and I realize that some of the phones seem to work fine, but allot of them don't, this is not a game of Russian roulette.

Upvote 0
I cant believe that everyone is bashing what I listed as facts to do with my phone, whats really interesting is that samsung said their working on it, they did not say that it would be fixed.

I wouldn't call it "bashing," it's more like offering a counterpoint. No one said that you didn't have problems with your phone. Keep in mind that many with good, working Vibrants will never visit a forum or if they do, may not post in "problem related threads" so we really cannot say what the ratio of problem phones to phones with no problems is.

The manager of the Tmo store where I purchased my Vibrant stated that Samsung is working on the GPS issue and other bugs and will fix it with the 1st update which he said would be due out on or shortly after 9/20/10. It so happens that he owns a Vibrant and has no intention of changing to another model due to any issue.

If you bought a car and you found out that 30% of the model cars like the one that you bought had a problem (lets say a wheel would fall of win you least expected it)and the manufacturer said they were working on it, you would be pissed, especially if you knew that it was a known problem and that they kept selling the car. keep in mind that you paid for a car to work and not work part of the time.

Not a good analogy and others have already pointed out why. Keep in mind the phone comes with a minimum of 14 days "buyer's remorse" up to 30 days in California. Also, if there are serious problems (including GPS) the phone has a 1 year warranty. Tmo will exchange during the warranty period.

If the knew update is suppose to fix all known problems with the phone then all samsung had to say is that these issues would be fixed at such and such a date, but they didn't. you have to ask yourself why? Do you honestly think that samsung would recall all of the phones if it is found that its a hardware issue?

I could just as easily say the opposite but wouldn't be able to have any more certainty than you do. How do you know?

Furthermore, Noonehereyet, an Android Forum Moderator made an excellent point: The (Galaxy S) or Tmo Vibrant is the flagship mobile device in Samsung's lineup, it would be very short-sighted and irresponsible for them to abandon their top-of-the-line customer base and not keep them happy. As a businessman, I am very aware of long term customer satisfaction. It is much easier and smarter to keep your current customers satisfied and returning than constantly finding and burning new customers - eventually such a company would run out of victims and fail. Personally, FWIW, I don't believe Samsung would operate on a business model that didn't take this into consideration.

I'm looking at facts not pie in the sky. I have tried all of the gps fixes out there and my phones gps works sometimes and has failed to get a fix the last three times, it cant even tell me where I am, most of the time. If I open certain apps the screen will go black and I have to take the battery out just to un-freeze the phone. It has done this on the contacts list twice. the phone has been reset back to factory specs twice now and it will work great for several days and it slowly gets progressively worse. I am sending it back this week and exchanging it for a another phone, I just haven't decided what phone. There is a post from someone who use to work with TM customer service talking about there policies when dealing with phone issues that I think every one should read, its on XDA.

OK you want facts, here you go, you should exchange your phone and here is why:

Fact: I have never had a problem with reception or a dropped call since I got the Vibrant on 7/20/10. In fact, in areas where I used to have reception issues the Vibrant has no issues.
Fact: My Vibrant will navigate from point A to Point B 100% of the time.
Fact: My Vibrant always pinpoints my location with a high degree of accuracy on Google Maps. Sometimes it can take longer than a few seconds but never more than a minute or so.
Fact: Even my dedicated Garmin $300 GPS only unit occasionally takes a minute or more to locate and lock my current location.
Fact: My Vibrant has never locked up or frozen.
Fact: I am self employed and use this device all day long for business. I couldn't tolerate a phone that locks up or didn't function at least at or near 100%. I use the device for calls, Internet access, sending and receiving email, texting, navigation, world time, Savvy Shopper, Bar Code Reader, etc. etc.

I signed a new two year contract and paid a couple hundred dollars for this phone, I had full expectations that it would perform and if it had problems they would be resolved in a reasonable amount of time, what is reasonable in this case, one week, two weeks, three weeks? they've know about it for six in a half weeks allready and haven't even given their customers an apology or a date of when to expect these problems to be resolved and they keep selling these phones, and I realize that some of the phones seem to work fine, but allot of them don't, this is not a game of Russian roulette.

I signed a new 2 year contract and didn't pay anything for the phone as it was a customer loyalty deal. However, I had a choice of any device Tmo had to offer. I tried a couple of different offerings before I settled on the Vibrant. Since I wasn't sure I wanted to stick with Tmo, I also looked at Verizon and Sprint. Since I would have to pay for devices from either of those 2 companies my decision was pretty easy since the Epic 4G is not available yet and there is no 4G service yet in Southern California and especially because this device won't be out for several weeks yet. The other factor was the monthly service with Sprint is $20 more per month and Verizon is about $30 more per month.

Tmobile doesn't have anything else I would consider at the moment. Tmobile will exchange the phone if you get one that doesn't work although it wasn't necessary for me.

For the way I use a device it was very simple - Vibrant all the way. The Internet access on this phone is extremely user friendly, far more than anything Tmo offers at present. The large, sharp, crystal clear display is impressive and makes Web access easy and enjoyable.

I empathize with your frustration but urge you to exchange your phone for one that works. Failing that, maybe they will put you into another model if you're still not satisfied. Good luck in your quest for a mobile device you will enjoy! :)

Upvote 0
If I open certain apps the screen will go black and I have to take the battery out just to un-freeze the phone. It has done this on the contacts list twice. the phone has been reset back to factory specs twice now and it will work great for several days and it slowly gets progressively worse. I am sending it back this week and exchanging it for a another phone, I just haven't decided what phone.

Interesting as my previous Vibrant starting doing the same thing. It got worse so I exchanged it for another Vibrant and so far this one has been working perfect, except of course for the gps.

Upvote 0
Sweet jesus this screen is much more sensitive than my Dare. Also seems damn near impossible to text using the standard QWERTY without taking your time. Is there T9 on this? I'm brand new to smart phones btw.

Also, at the top of the phone, a little to the right where the signal bar is I see 3G and sometimes E. I usually have no bars when the 3G is up but it doesn't lose signal or anything. Is this poor coverage? Also 2 arrows, one pointing up, the other down sometimes light up

Upvote 0
Sweet jesus this screen is much more sensitive than my Dare. Also seems damn near impossible to text using the standard QWERTY without taking your time. Is there T9 on this? I'm brand new to smart phones btw.

Also, at the top of the phone, a little to the right where the signal bar is I see 3G and sometimes E. I usually have no bars when the 3G is up but it doesn't lose signal or anything. Is this poor coverage?

T9?
laugh.gif
..must be VERY new to smart phones.

It has Swype and coming from T9 (that cracks me up actually) it will take a bit to get used to but you will get the hang of it. My guess is you will love Swype and wonder how you ever thought T9 was worth a shit.

Upvote 0
T9?
laugh.gif
..must be VERY new to smart phones.

It has Swype and coming from T9 (that cracks me up actually) it will take a bit to get used to but you will get the hang of it. My guess is you will love Swype and wonder how you ever thought T9 was worth a shit.

Someone I know has the Aria and it has T9. Just something I'm used to. I have big hands so its difficult as hell being accurate with this. Is there word prediction or spell correction also? I can't find jack.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones