1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Is the S2 the way to go?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by spikles, Jun 6, 2011.

1. spikles

spikles Lurker
    None

May 8, 2011
    I'm in the market for a new android phone and after reading all the reviews, it seems like the S2 is the best on the market currently? I'm upgrading from a Captivate which I really did like. Is the S2 the way to go or is there something else I should go for? ps: I don't like iphones :rolleyes:

Advertisement

2. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    The GSII. Is the way forward. Okay, so your in a GSII forum, but it's between this or the Sensation.

The GSII, literally, improves in every weak area that the captivate did! It is, as the name says, the second generation. Battery life is promising, for most, even before Android 2.3.4 (which will optimise android for dual core phones).

And furthermore, the Sensation suffers from the death grip and I've heard the although it's qHD, the actual quality of the screen is worse than older models.

Also if your coming from Super AMOLED...the only way to go is Super AMOLED PLUS! :D

3. spikles

spikles Lurker
    None

May 8, 2011
    Yeah I was thinking that asking the question in a forum for S2 owners was probably not going to be completely biased but new owners would soon let me know if it is a dud.
    I think I'll be placing an order with Clove. If anyone knows somewhere cheaper please let me know :p

4. vengance007

vengance007 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    LONDON

Yeah its proberly the step up your looking for but it has its issues (like every phone). Most of them can be fixed with 2.3.4 if sammy do it.

5. stevegs

stevegs Newbie
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Coming to Android phones from the complete Iphone range...

Iphones, very nice and pretty and do what they do very well. That said they are limited, flash being a prime example as well as the lack of customisation.
    Started Android path with the Desire HD, which was very nice although lacking in volume and a few calls missed however generally quite happy with it, and being a bit of a gadget freak decided to look at the Sensation. While looking I started to read and view more of the SG2 and I am very glad I did, great phone and all I was looking for and more importantly no more missed calls and great speed in whatever I choose to do. As for build, I have it in a Barely There Case Mate so hopefully no worries there. :):)
    Keis air....works great as I run a Macbook, which on the Apple side is the best Laptop/PC I have ever used.
    Just my two penny's worth
    :)

6. Beaker491

Beaker491 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Another one to take into consideration at least, is the LG Optimus 3D. Or it might be called the AT&T Thrill 4g, depending on your market? I know it's not got a AMOLED+ screen (altho there are probelms with this screen, see related yellow tint and colour banding threads) but it is 3D capable. It's running Froyo (Gingerbread update coming soon according to LG), but the T.I. OMAP4 processor inside the O3D looks one to watch out for, with rumours that Google will be/are using the OMAP4 as the development base for Ice Cream, similar to how they did with Nvidia and Honeycomb. And it's running a PowerVR SGX 540 gpu clocked at 304mhz. (104mhz faster than the one found in the Nexus S and the original galaxy s)

Theres pro's and con's to every device. Fans/owners of samsung will suggest the SGS2, fans of htc might suggest the Sensation etc etc, but i though i'd just throw a curveball. I have none of the above phones, but am interested in all of them, so i'm staying neutral while i weigh up the pro's and con's of each device, and decide which to get.

Enjoy whichever one you decide to get, and let us know what you think of it :)

Ian

7. layton87

layton87 Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    SGS2 all the way bro...all i can say is that you won't regret it, lovely bit of kit!..the only other phone i'd even take into consideration would be the upcoming HTC evo 3d...

8. connectandroid

None

Indeed S2 all the way... had mine since last Friday - best purchase i've made in a while :D

9. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    One thing about the S2 is that, it has all the best hardware you could possibly want!

Now the few issues there can be sorted out with software.

remember software can be change/upgraded, hardware can't. :p