• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help is the S3 worth the $400

The big key is does VM offer LTE in your area? If it does then is the S3 for you? One, its a monster in size to the Triumph but it will also run circles around the Triumph in terms of speed and hardware. Also CM does support the S3 for Sprint so its just a matter of time till the ROM is supported on VM I'm sure. Here is a great site to see the size of the device. I made a cardboard cut out of the S4 so the Wife and me would get an idea of the sheer size since we are moving to Verizon. Just used some paper on the screen and traced it out and made a mock up on cardboard.

http://www.piliapp.com/actual-size/galaxy-s3/

Edit: yes you will want to root it to get rid of VM bloat, and of course ROMs when they come down the pipe.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, The phone was worth every penny. This is still considered a high end device, and to have it on a prepaid, No contract provider for only $35 a month...You can't beat that. I have been with Virgin Mobile for a LONG time..Originally had the Optimus V, Then the Triumph, and previously the Evo V 4G. You can't really compare the phone to anything else VM offers as it's in it's own league in my opinion. Like the previous guy said, It really depends on your signal with 4G LTE. I live in Long Beach, California and consistently get 20MBs on their network. I have ONLY had 1 dropped call with their service since I've had it and it was during the tower upgrades.

At any rate, It's a phenomenal phone with endless features. The camera "In my opinion" is second only to the Iphone. The HD video recording and camera are very sharp, clean and fast. The phone does it all...What I would do is read the thread within this same forum labeled "What feature do you like most about your S3". The things the phone does is unbelievable.

In regards to root, It may be a little bit of time for the rom base to take off as it's relatively new, However there are some out there.. In terms of is root necessary to make the phone work the way it should..No. That was the motorola Triumph and Evo V...Lol.

Good Luck and hopefully we'll see you around!

Upvote 0
It's worth it for me. I dunno if it's worth it for you.
It's a badass phone for sure and I'm very fond of using it.
There is one thing about this phone that I don't like. At the edge of the glass, it's rounded as it approaches the bezel. I learned this after I bought it and tried to put a screen protector on it. Most of them don't lay flat at the edges because of this styling flare added by Samsung. There are a few protectors that are curved to accommodate this. I like how the s4 went to a flat screen, perhaps there was some discussion from the screen protector community.

It's the only thing I'd change about this phone if I could. I'm still rocking the original screen protector I put on as it's really nice and hasn't been scratched yet. It's just a matter of time before dust starts to accumulate under the edges. I have the curved protectors ready to go. If you aren't one to use screen protectors, then this is a pure non-issue.

Upvote 0
In a year i havent used a protector and the screen is perfect, not even a micro scratch and i dont baby my phones so i give the gorilla glass the thumbs up :thumbup:
And the gorgeous display underneath :thumbup:

The cleanliness of your pockets is astounding. Sand is harder than Gorilla Glass.
I'm not worried about brass keys damaging the screen, it's random dirt that worries me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones