• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Samsung rebate on preorders legit?

Bearcats

Android Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2012
USA
https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/Note4/

I have been looking for two days for anything that would validate it as true. However the "links" on that webpage are not only dead they don't have a hover option. Its almost like someone pasted up a .jpg on a screen.

The webpage above goes outside the normal Samsung rebate pages.

Only the second hand news outlets seem to have reported this rebate. I know there are other current rebates, I am only interested in discussing the Samsung one.

Samsung has not come out denying or confirming it and I can't seem to see anything on their main page dealing with portable devices showing that deal (http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote4/note4_main.html). Seems like a huge item to push in order gain sales.

Also, I am not interested in conspiracy theories. Just trying to validate the truth of the offer is all.

Thanks

I had the same question. It seemed strange and Verizon didn't know anything about it. However, I just contacted Samsung via live chat at samsung.com and they verified it to be legit. You can do the same if you would like peace of mind (I didn't want to go sharing my phone info without being sure).

Yes, I was not ready to reveal ID numbers or plunk down money without solid verification.

So.you went to main Samsung site and got clarification? Where they knowledgable enough to comment and clarify on what the contract entales? I am exchanging an old phone and keeping my curreng as a back up.

Upvote 0
Yeah it was the official Samsung technical support chat. She was familiar with the promotion and verified the deal's authenticity. I was short on time so I didn't didn't ask for further terms and conditions but I copy and pasted the link for her to make sure it was in fact Samsung. I'll probably look into it further before I go ahead with it.

Reactions: Bearcats
Upvote 0
Yeah it was the official Samsung technical support chat. She was familiar with the promotion and verified the deal's authenticity. I was short on time so I didn't didn't ask for further terms and conditions but I copy and pasted the link for her to make sure it was in fact Samsung. I'll probably look into it further before I go ahead with it.

Thanks for the clarification. Its appreciated.

Purdue?

-'Cats

Upvote 0
Between this deal and the Best Buy deal, it's really hard for me not to at least consider the Note 4. The only thing that truly intrigued me about upgrading again this year was the potential for having 64gb. Seems like the Edge could still be possible, but I don't think they are bringing at 64gb of the Note 4.

Decisions, decisions. At least they are allowing pre-order deal up until 10/16, so I have a few weeks to decide.

Upvote 0
Why no 64GB model considering 32GB has been around now for three years is very odd, but a decision by carriers not to "purchase" 64GB skus. The S5 only had a wimpy 16GB, which means less than 11GB of storage and about 9GB when the L update hits.

If carriers would order them, Samsung would ship them.

Android L will be interesting, since if people thought they were short on space with Kitkat, they are in for extra short now.

Upvote 0
Why no 64GB model considering 32GB has been around now for three years is very odd, but a decision by carriers not to "purchase" 64GB skus. The S5 only had a wimpy 16GB, which means less than 11GB of storage and about 9GB when the L update hits.

If carriers would order them, Samsung would ship them.

Android L will be interesting, since if people thought they were short on space with Kitkat, they are in for extra short now.

I would like to know how much on board ram (of the 3 GB, which is the most important) is occupied before one app is downloaded by me. I am not a rooter as I have burnt out on that part of phones. On my DNA I usually only have between 500-800 MB left open and when it dips below 500 I can tell as the phone begins to bog down.

Upvote 0
Android likes to stack stuff into ram, rather than a typical stack register like the olden days of PC's with low ram. The relative ratio of free space is similar with Android and 2GB vs 3GB, assuming same OS, apps, and display res. Qhd takes up almost 500mb of ram compared to 1080p that takes up a typical allocation of 278MB.

People with the 2GB model of the G3 must run into some bog moments.

Must admit iOS does a much better job of memory management than Android. I appreciate the multi-task differences, but that can be managed better than stuffing a bunch of apps into ram. iOS takes more of a stack register approach (in premise).

...... Why does this thread make want to Hammer Time? :) ;)

Upvote 0
Android likes to stack stuff into ram, rather than a typical stack register like the olden days of PC's with low ram. The relative ratio of free space is similar with Android and 2GB vs 3GB, assuming same OS, apps, and display res. Qhd takes up almost 500mb of ram compared to 1080p that takes up a typical allocation of 278MB.

People with the 2GB model of the G3 must run into some bog moments.

Must admit iOS does a much better job of memory management than Android. I appreciate the multi-task differences, but that can be managed better than stuffing a bunch of apps into ram. iOS takes more of a stack register approach (in premise).

...... Why does this thread make want to Hammer Time? :) ;)

Yeah which is why BLOAT is such a huge issue. Which is why rooting is so popular. Get rid of that bloat and you have a ton of headroom.

And yeah, I am having to be patient. I still have one possible hiccup being as my two year expiration for Big Red isn't officially up until first week of December but I am hoping they will allow me to upgrade early at upgrade pricing. I was going to wait until last possible minute; like Oct 14/15/16 to try and get it all to go through.

Upvote 0
The Best Buy $200 deal is for two year contracts only. No full price. I think perhaps the Samsung deal is the same thing. Makes sense since all the business side is doing is losing money. Getting the contract extensions is where the money incentives are.

And that's fine by me if they let me do it as my next move phone wise will be on a contract for this iteration as well.

A shame, however, for those that don't want to fiddle with their contracts though.

Upvote 0
The Best Buy $200 deal is for two year contracts only. No full price. I think perhaps the Samsung deal is the same thing. Makes sense since all the business side is doing is losing money. Getting the contract extensions is where the money incentives are.

I could be wrong, but it looks like Samsung is simply sending out rebate checks, with no mention of the need to purchase as an "upgrade". It also looks like you only get a check equal to $200 minus the trade-in value of the phone you give them (I assume "them" is your carrier). I have on original Droid that is fully working, and should have a very minimal trade-in value, and I may try this, if I can do the Edge and keep my unlimited data, or buy outright.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong, but it looks like Samsung is simply sending out rebate checks, with no mention of the need to purchase as an "upgrade". It also looks like you only get a check equal to $200 minus the trade-in value of the phone you give them (I assume "them" is your carrier). I have on original Droid that is fully working, and should have a very minimal trade-in value, and I may try this, if I can do the Edge and keep my unlimited data, or buy outright.

The Best Buy process (a friend there showed me at lunch today- just now) is you trade the phone in the day you get your Note 4 from BB and then a $200 gift card is authorized to the customer. No full price option. Only the upgrade transaction works.

Verizon seems to think the same thing and the process Samsung mentions seems suspect to the folks I spoke with. That said, they have not confirmed it will not work with full price- yet......

Even Best Buy are backtracking now.... Will it or not be contract free?

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
The Best Buy process (a friend there showed me at lunch today- just now) is you trade the phone in the day you get your Note 4 from BB and then a $200 gift card is authorized to the customer. No full price option. Only the upgrade transaction works.

Verizon seems to think the same thing and the process Samsung mentions seems suspect to the folks I spoke with. That said, they have not confirmed it will not work with full price- yet......

Even Best Buy are backtracking now.... Will it or not be contract free?

But the $200 can be used towards the upgrade, right? That's the most important part for me. The mobile department was too busy for me to check with them on Sunday, but as long as I can use the $200 towards the upgrade, then I'll be happy with that (and of course, if they stick to the word that it's any working smartphone, not just a select list). Only thing for me to decide would be if the Edge is offered in 64gb. If not, I'll likely hold off. The offerings of the Note 4 are great, just not big enough of an upgrade for the things that are most important to me.

Upvote 0
This whole $200 process appears very rushed (desperation?) Not even Samsung is giving the same story, Best Buy contradicts and Verizon had no clue.

I still think when the dust settles, it will be for upgrades only, but if Samsung is that afraid of the market-share hit..... That is a LOT of money though. If the average is $50 trade in, Samsung could be eating $150,000,000 (yes, 150M) and allocating to "sales and marketing" expenses.

Upvote 0
This whole $200 process appears very rushed (desperation?) Not even Samsung is giving the same story, Best Buy contradicts and Verizon had no clue.

I still think when the dust settles, it will be for upgrades only, but if Samsung is that afraid of the market-share hit..... That is a LOT of money though. If the average is $50 trade in, Samsung could be eating $150,000.000 (yes, 150M) and allocating to "sales and marketing" expenses.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be on upgrade and not full retail, but if they offered off full retail, that'd be pretty awesome for those itching to get the Note 4 off contract.

I don't mind the upgrade, but just hoping that the Edge comes in 64gb flavor and the promotion is still available whenever the Edge is released. I'm leaning in that direction, if I upgrade at all this year.

Upvote 0
The promo is to offset the huge iPhone sales. Samsung is banking on the Note 4 selling 15,000,000 units in October. It took them three months to do that with the Note 3 and that was WITHOUT the bigger iPhones breaking sales records.

Hmmmmm. Who was that in one of the threads that said Samsung would essentially not have any concerns with the iPhone 6's ???? ;) :) Not heard from him lately.

Added: Unless another promo, the $200 is only for the Note 4. My guess is the Edge will be a limited release and was purely a tech Hail Mary for the launch to steal some iPhone pre-thunder. Has not seemed to have helped.

Upvote 0
It's only if you pre-order the Note 4. You have to upload to Samsung, your Note 4 proof of purchase and a copy of an additional receipt. showing that you traded in a phone. You get $200 minus what you got for a trade in (minimum $10). Samsung supposedly the sends you a check. Since some trade ins are only good as store credits, you are probably better off with a $10 trade in.

Upvote 0
It's only if you pre-order the Note 4. You have to upload to Samsung, your Note 4 proof of purchase and a copy of an additional receipt. showing that you traded in a phone. You get $200 minus what you got for a trade in (minimum $10). Samsung supposedly the sends you a check. Since some trade ins are only good as store credits, you are probably better off with a $10 trade in.

So are we back at phone value MUST be 10 to get the 190? Or are we at the trade in and get up to 190 back with fancy wording?

And it still concerns me that the website links for Contact Us and Terms and Conditions dont even hover activate to a dead page. They don't do anything. Like I said looks like a great big .jpg just plunked out there.

And I could care less about the iPhone/Samsung battle. I am not remotely interested in the Apple product line so I am looking at the Note 4. If this turns out to be bogus Ill just hang on to my money and continue with my existing phone until a deal pops up. Christmas is around the corner as well.

Upvote 0
So are we back at phone value MUST be 10 to get the 190? Or are we at the trade in and get up to 190 back with fancy wording?

I think that is the big question (other than whether or not it's legit, which I think it is).. Does the minimum $10 mean that if your trade in is valued at under $10, you would not get the $190 promotion? Or does it mean that if your trade in is valued at under $10, it means you will not get more than $190 from Samsung. LOL

If it's the former, and I send in my $10 valued (online) phone to AT&T - and upon inspection they value it at $6 - then it sounds like I'm screwed. So many questions. I'm just going to hope for the best. I've already made the pre-order for the phone. There's no turning back for me! :)

Upvote 0
There still has been no answer if this is for contract/upgrade only, or also full price purchases. Even Samsung reps for Best Buy have given conflicting responses and ditto for Verizon.

The only known is Best Buy is using the Samsung rebate to drive in customers with their immediate gift card, rather than wait. Their point of sale is set up to only do the $200 for upgrades. This would mean even if it "could" be for full price, Best Buy staff would have no way to allow it, due to their point of sale system.

Apparently Samsung is paying all this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones