1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is the Stock Browser safe?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by richie0079, Feb 9, 2011.

1. richie0079

richie0079 Guest

i was wondering just how safe the Stock Browser on the Desire is?

I don't do any banking or anything on my phone, but am considering it for ease. But quite concerned about security (as i'm sure most are these days) and viruses/spyware etc etc.

I actually downloaded the Dolphin Browser, but find that to be a bit slow these days and am considering deleting it and going back to the original browser as it's much quicker.

thanks in advance for any advice.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

Not much chance of getting virus on Android, I use stock and works great for my needs.

richie0079 likes this.
  3. EddyOS

EddyOS Android Expert

I use Dolphin HD as it's a LOT faster than the stock browser, but I don't bank on it. Save that for my laptop

richie0079 likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

I bank on mine.

From a virus perspective, android runs apps in a sandboxed environment and apps cannot access anything unless you have pressed "Allow". This cannot be circumvented.

However, if you download what you think is an official app, and it isnt, you risk allowing something that is not what it is supposed to be.

richie0079 likes this.
  5. richie0079

richie0079 Guest

a fellow scouser :D

i did find Dolphin very fast in the early days too, but i tested it earlier against the stock app on some bookmarked pages, and it was much slower for some reason. :thinking: I've noticed it happening more of late.

not too sure i understand what you mean, sorry. :thinking:

when you say official app, do you mean a marketplace app? I know you can enable apps to download that aren't from the market. Are they unofficial?

I'm always very careful with apps and their permissions anyway, but can apps steal information you put into a browser then?

6. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

You've got 2 safety issues here, apart from the one mentioned above about clicking on dodgy links :

- Having a virus / trojan / keylogger on your system. Your phone is undoubtedly safer here

- Having something picked up on the airwaves. Wifi is probably okay if you have it secured. Not sure about 3g? I'd imagine though a phone is as safe as a pc here as all connections should be secure (https)

I'd have no problem banking on my phone but I'd take all the precautions I do on my pc. i.e. don't do it on a public wi-fi hotspot as unless you use a vpn it can never be safe.

richie0079 likes this.
  7. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

Well, I'm still waiting for my money.

8. EddyOS

EddyOS Android Expert

Only by address...;)

9. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Sorry what I mean is, for example...

There was a fake angry birds app on the market. people thought they were downloading the real one so they allowed all the permissions. Except it wasnt angry birds, it was something malicious.

10. kuobob

kuobob Member

If your using a windows pc, then I doubt that the pc will be more secure.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews