1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Is the ThunderBolt missing some things that may have Justified the Price?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sean76, Feb 16, 2011.

1. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

OK so here's my question... Does anyone feel like HTC may have left some key elements out of the ThunderBolt that may have made it worth the $249 pricetag, or even more imortantly the $749 retail that has been thrown at us?
    I can think of 2 right of the bat!!!

1: A Super Amoled screen- Yes this would have really made a big difference IMO, very BIG! To me an LCD, SLCD is just very 2010. I've been spoiled by my Fascinates screen, and just feel that a phone demanding that price tag should have an amazing display...meaning SuperAmoled or Super Amoled +

2: Dual Core- Yup, a dual core processor would have also made me feel a little bit better, it may not be a Major Issue right this minute. But it will be in the next 6 months when Android has they're newer platforms ready to play really nice with a dual core processor...4G and a blazing Dual core would most likely make alot of people feel better about commiting to a device that may be outdated when some real insane devices hit in the middle to later part of 2011.

Listen I'm not saying the Thunderbolt is not any good, I'm just saying some key features were left out that may have justified this price. And that maybe VZW, HTC should have put some more thought into when to release this phone (Hello Dec 2010) and how much to push it out the door for ($199/$599 respectively.

Advertisement

2. rdubbs007

rdubbs007 Well-Known Member

I would feel better if it came with a hooker... or a case of miller light...

3. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

hahahahahahaha...My Man!!! For $749 it should.

4. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

I think the phone is baller enough

5. rdubbs007

Yeah, for $404.25.....

I paid $750 for my Sony Vaio with an i3, Blu Ray and HDMI out...

just sayin....

6. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Member

who gives a **** if you dont like it dont buy it. slcd is fine and if you want super AMOLED you will have to wait forever cuz samsung hogs all the samoled screens cuz of demand.

dual core doesnt bother me

7. theacoustician

theacoustician Android Enthusiast

Have some respect for yourself and drink something decent.

8. aodmisery

aodmisery Well-Known Member

dual core is usueless right now and its been said that the tb has beating dual core phones in speed tests.

9. rdubbs007

I love Miller. But any beer will do. Have some respect for the beverage in general ;)

10. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

All these new jacks with the insinuation towards bad language! First off...I never said I didn't like the Thunderbolt, if SLCD works for you that's great, there are other phones coming out with screen technology that rivals super Amoled! And no, its not just Samsung. As for the Dual core...LOL, use your noodle. Like I said, and countless others have said in numerous other threads....Dual core will be optimized to run with future Android platforms very soon. Having it on board is a major plus looking towards the very near future...very near as in 6 months. This thread is primarily about if HTC would have added these, and some other key elements if it would have justified the $749 price tag.

11. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

at $250 for the phone with a two year contract, I love it...considering my job gives me $200 for upgrades...so I really get it for $50. lol

12. oBIGTo

oBIGTo Well-Known Member

Even Samsung is going to the SLCD on new phones! As for the dual core, the Tbolt the quadrant scores came in higher than the bionic, so I'm not sure if people really know what dual core will do for them at this point. The Tbolt has a faster newer optimized version of the snapdragon that along with the increased ram makes this phone blazing fast. When developers start writing apps designed for dualcore processors then it will matter. Untill the masses have those phones those developers wont make any money on developing apps that don't show up in the market on non dualcore phones.

13. Lespaul20

Lespaul20 Member

But isn't Samsung's reason for moving to SLCD because of production issue with SOLED not because of performance issues?

People try to over simplify the single versus dual core debate. Single threaded performance isn't the only facet to the discussion. As software become optimized heat and power consumption will likely trump quadrant scores. A lower clocked, lower power dual core cpu would be something I'd prefer over a super high clocked high power single core.

I agree that the price is a little steep but the I don't know what the Bionic will be set at. I doubt that it will be much more than the TB and if it isn't, the TB is overpriced.

14. bp328i

bp328i Android Enthusiast

Wait a minute here, it doesn't??? I was lied too, next thing your going to tell me is it's not being released on 2/20/11.

15. EgoDogg

EgoDogg Android Enthusiast

On one hand I do, and at times, I feel it's a "fair" price when you consider the 32 GB Sandisk card that comes with the phone. Those babies aren't cheap ( Linky ). It kind of sucks though as I just bough a Transcend class 6 16GB card a few months ago, and I think it would be better to offer as a "bundle." Also, who knows how much more it costs to throw in that LTE radio.

Dual core would've been nice, but the more I think about it, it's not needed for 'me' at the moment. I'll likely get this on a 1 year contract which means I can upgrade again late December, early January when multi-cores are being optimized, and I feel there's going to be a huge breakout this year in the mobile tech department. I also get a little bored with phones for the most part after 10 months. You can also get a good chunk of change for the phone if you sell it at that point.

Back to the memory card though, I think if they used a bigger battery instead, it would be a little more justifiable.

But I would never even consider the $750 retail. That's just crazy for a phone, imo. New technology costs more, I understand, but jeez.

16. theacoustician

theacoustician Android Enthusiast

Although speaking of the microSDHC, does anyone know what brand/class it is? I know class 2, 4, and 10 are all out there right now. I'm sure it's class 2, but honestly that makes no sense. If you wanted to record HD video, there's no way that would keep up. You'd need at least class 4 and some mighty fine compression rates.

17. EgoDogg

EgoDogg Android Enthusiast

From Wirefly's unboxing video, it 'looks' like a class 2 card to me, but it is a little blurry.

[​IMG]

18. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast

My ideal phone would be:
    - 4" Gorilla glass screen for pocketability and durability
    - dual core
    - on Verizon LTE
    - running HTC Sense (so I can run it stock)
    - ability to root easily (so I can get rid of the Verizon bloatware)

Obviously, the Thunderbolt is not 4" and does not have dual core. But I'm OK with it, especially if I can drop an extra $70 and get it on a 1 year contract. By the time I'm ready to upgrade in March 2012, multi-core processors and OS systems that support those processors would have hit prime time!

I wonder if HTC decided to go with Snapdragon instead of Tegra Dual because they had prior knowledge that Netflix (and Skype I think) will be making their applications hardware accelerated and optimized for the individual processors - the first being Snapdragon.

19. ThrillKill

ThrillKill Well-Known Member

try 300 bucks for the phone as of today's best buy weekly ad

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  20. stew560

stew560 Member

No...$249.99 in the weekly ad, $299.99 in the March Mobile Buyers guide.

21. Lespaul20

Lespaul20 Member

What's $300?

22. stew560

stew560 Member

It looks like there is different pricing based on location. My area's Weekly Ad shows $249.99, but others are reporting it shows $299.99 for them.

23. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

the TB is missing one thing:

My hand wrapped around it.

24. swade8

swade8 Newbie

This may be sort of off subject, but not sure if any of you know this, but in regards to buying the phone whether it be 1yr. or 2yr. contract, did you know that if you are the primary account holder, verizon offers "perks" to those persons. I have always gotten onto the 2yr. purchase plans, but have always been able to upgrade to a new phone every year, with just a $20 penalty fee added in and resigned up for 2yrs. even though I've done this for the past 3 yrs. now. so... I don't mind paying $250 for the T-bolt now, then see what phones are available in another year for around that same price range.. this way.. you are saving tons of $$$ without feeling committed to something for it's full term. That i must say is the best "perk", i've had with being with verizon for 8 yrs. now.

25. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert

It's not really a perk. It's an annual upgrade, and this will be the last one you can use. They did away with NE2 AND annual upgrades January 16th. Existing customers are eligible to use the annual or NE2 one last time before it's no longer an option. Sorry. Most of us did not take the news well.

Now, if they keep pushing the release date back, it'll end up around my two-year time in September and I'll just upgrade on a one-year contract. :D

swade8 likes this.