• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Is there a 1000mA USB car charger that actually works?

Palmetto Fellow, this Rocketfish Premium is AWESOME.

I've got some logs saved... and as soon as I get some time to organize them, I will post them.(Between work, home, and a young Pup I'm running constantly...and sleeping less)

But this thing is awesome. I started a charge at 73% with WIFI on, Sync ON, Bluetooth ON (and active), and it was hitting in the upper 800's and lower 900's for a little bit then toned it down some a little while later because it was already in the 90% range. Impressive.

THANKS for the awesome recommendation! Sometime... when I get the courage or a friend wants to charge his phone :D LOL (just kiddin') ... maybe I'll see what that 2.1a port on the Scosche is capable of. For now.. I'm using it's 1A port to charge my T505 (with adapter on end of cable) Can't use the extra port on the RocketFish because of how my adapter plugin is positioned, but that's no big deal.

As far as chargers... I'm DONE.

Something I've noticed... and this might be different for some, but when I charge either by USB via Computer (overnight..very slowly) or by the RocketFish... my phone stays in the 90's for a lot longer period. When I use the wall charger, it is 100% when I unplug it, and then 5 minutes later with no use it's at like 90-91%.. but THEN starts to descend at it's "normal" rate (or what I'm use to) Another weird issue.. or maybe it's the lower "ma" at the end of the AC Charger and USB Charger that does it? :thinking:

Anyway.. thanks again!

Upvote 0
The EVO is funny like that. It will say FULL, and then 10 minutes after you unplug it...it's dropped to 91%...give it more time, and it'll hit 85%.

Many say it's because the EVO stops charging once full, and runs off the battery. It occassionally tops itself off...but what I don't understand is why it can drop to 85% so quickly. Surely HTC did not design it to drop to 85% before topping itself back off...

If you observe Current Widget while charging, and charge to full, you will see it change from charging at 234mA to draining at 234mA (just an example, real number will vary). Remember to look for the green lightning bolt to know when it's charging vs discharging.

Well, I noticed that every 2-3 minutes, the lightning bolt would turn green again (likely to top off the battery) and then it went back into a discharge mode.

This does not explain anything...just an observation for now.

Also, it seems like it took me almost 3 hours to charge via AC the other day...and the final 10% took almost an hour by itself. Again, don't know why...just an observation.

Upvote 0
I happen to like attached cords...coiled cords also make me happy. I don't like using a USB cord with the contraption you linked to.

I used to love :D coiled cords until I realized just how much damage they impose on the charging port. :(

The coil pulls way too much and places a huge stress on the charging port. Sure, it's nice in that the coil is all coiled up and not hanging, but I learned my lesson the hard way.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
As far as monoprices chargers... (And I love Monoprice) From what I've read, it's like a "luck of the draw" type deal. And I've even read where different colore units of the same model act differently.

I bought two of these and they are working at 1 Amp and no surprises.

As for the luck of the draw, that can be said of any on-line purchase and if there is one vendor I had to bet with, it would be with monoprice.com. They are second to none with customer service and they have always come through for me.

For a couple of bucks, this 1 Amp charger is great and a no brainer and I have monoprice to make things right if I get a lemon.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
i already have the monoprice gold usb cables (6ft) and this will make an excellent addition. i purchased 4.

i had an old ppctechs usb cig adapter that was designed for the old school windows ppc handsets i had back in the early 2000's. the only reason i just ordered these was because i broke my old school one :(

thank you sir for the heads up...

I am not sure why you folks are spending so much for a 1 amp USB car charger.
MonoPrice.com USB 1AM Charger

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones