1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is there a Basic Guide to ROMs?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mysteryman, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Member

So, like a lot of people, my HTC Desire is running out of memory for applications and I would like to take advantage of the option to use part of the microSD card to increase the amount available.

I've managed to S-OFF and root the phone and now I am not sure what to do next.

Is it necessary to put a different ROM on the phone and, if so, what does this mean?
    • A different User Interface?
    • Re-install all the applications?
    • Set up all the applications?
    • ??????
    Thanks - any advice appreciated!

2. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert

Mysteryman likes this.
  3. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Member

If I flash a new ROM will this remove all the apps on the phone and need me to re-install and set them up?

4. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert

When flashing a new ROM you need to wipe data (factory reset) via recovery before flashing the ROM, so yes you will lose any apps that are not included in the new ROM system. However Titanium backup will back up & restore your apps. A word of caution though restoring system data across ROMs can cause problems & is not recommended.

5. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

Just to add, it's worth buying the pro version of ti backup, just for the batch restore feature alone. (great when setting up a new rom).

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Flashing the ROM won't remove them, but you have to do it yourself.

The problem is that unless the new ROM is very similar to the old one, the chances are that the system app data and settings aren't compatible. So you need to do a factory reset to remove all of that stuff before flashing the new ROM, which also removes all of your own apps. If you don't, you might suffer strange, minor performance problems, or you might have major instability or the phone won't boot at all.

So the advice is that before flashing a new ROM you should:

* back up all of your apps and data using Titanium Backup.

* back up messages and contacts separately - these are part of the system data. Titanium Pro can back these up in xml format, which is transferable between ROMs, but the default backup of these is not. There are many message backup apps in the Play Store (will also back up call logs). If all of your contacts are synced with Google then they are backed up anyway, otherwise export them to SD from the People app (or do this anyway, to be safe!).

* There is an option to back up some more of your app data with Google (in the Privacy menu). By all means try try that if you want, but make the other backups as well in case it doesn't do everything (I've not really used this myself, so don't know how reliable it is).

* Make a backup from recovery (a "nandroid" backup) before you do the factory reset.

* When, and only when, that's complete, do a factory reset from recovery. You can then install the new ROM .zip (which you should already have copied to your SD card).

* Reboot (expect the first boot to be a bit longer than usual), then restore your different backups. Only restore user apps from Titanium, not system settings (though if you have Pro you can restore XML backups of messages, and contacts if you need to).

The Desire All Things Root Guide sticky post (red link in my sig) has a links to the "rooting faq", which has a more succinct explanation of the basic steps.

The other key thing is, always read the first couple of posts in the ROM's thread (usually at XDA-developers) to see whether it has any particular requirements, e.g. sd card partitions of a particular size.

The most important is, make that nandroid backup before you remove or change anything. As long as you have that, you can always return the phone to the state it was in when the backup was made. The backup itself lives on the SD card, so as long as nothing happens to that you are fine (I keep a few copied to my laptop as well). That little slogan in Nicka's sig is a good one :)

7. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert

Everything you need to know to flas a new ROM is in Suroot's Root FAQ

8. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Member

Wow, some great information there - thanks for all the swift responses!

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews