1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is there a cheap Android device I can use to experiment with?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Roger, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Lurker
    None

Dec 22, 2013
    Is there a cheap Android device I can use to experiment with?

I'm a complete beginner with Android, although I have a lot of programming experience with other languages and operating systems. I'd like to experiment with writing apps for Android. I'm aware that I can download an emulator, write an app, and test it on my PC. But I still need a real android device to run it on and I don't have one. Can anyone recommend the cheapest good Android device that I can load my own app on and run it ? For example, ebay has a Kyocera Hydro with Android 4.0 for $25. Is this a good device to experiment with? Or is there something cheaper or better to use?

Once again, I am a complete beginner so any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks !!

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Cheaper than $25 with 4.0? I'd wonder if that's a legitimate deal it's so low. Is it a working phone? The cheapest one I know of at the moment is Straight Talk's Precedent, for about $35, that you can flash Gingerbread (2.3) to. If that Kyocera is legit and working I don't think you'll do better unless someone hands you a phone for free.

3. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL *
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    truck driver
    ~ the "burgh" ~
    The LG Optimus V or S on eBay for $25 or $30,my daily phone for the past 3 years. I'm running gingerbread right now, just had Bean_Whiz rom 4.1.2 on it, but i need a bigger sdcard to keep as my daily driver. The guys on android central are close to having a working kit-kat 4.4 rom for it. Great little phone :).

4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

For a working phone that came with Android 4.0, $25 is a good deal. Make sure it's not a "for parts" sale.

The Hydro isn't a great phone, but should be fine for testing/learning.

5. BinaryJuice

BinaryJuice Newbie
    None

May 29, 2013
    Male
    United Kingdom
    I don't know about the US, but in the UK the cheapest device you can buy used is the HTC Wildfire S, although it's still on Gingerbread and has a very poor 600 MHz processor.