1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Is there a complete idiots guide to the Ascend?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TerrorMom, Feb 11, 2011.

1. TerrorMom

TerrorMom Lurker

I am so confused. LOL. First smart phone and I couldn't even make a phone call last night after it was turned on. I did manage to download face book and twitter, but now need to get facebook off of the home page (I thought it would just be a short cut)

Advertisement

2. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast

Yes there is, it's called the user manual. If you have a computer, connect your phone to it with the USB cable from the charger, and you can access the manual from there.

And don't feel bad, I didn't even have my voicemail setup, or know how to check it, for a week after I got the phone.

DMajor239 and TerrorMom like this.
  3. ickster

ickster Android Enthusiast

The manual doesn't help with much LOL.
    What exactly are you trying to do? And what's going wrong?
    If you be very specific, you'll get more responses.
    The first post with the red letters that says "Stickey" is a good place to start.
    Then try search. I personally don't always have alot of luck with the search function. Then try looking through the posts.

I've found I get more answers if I put as much detail as is possible in my title.

There are a lot of really smart people here who want to help you.You just have to ask LOL.

Welcome. Once you figure it out, you're gonna love this phone. And apps are fun!

Hope this helps.

Jazziette and TerrorMom like this.
  4. ickster

A lot of the Apps you see on the phone are "bloatware" put on by your provider.Some cannot be removed unless you "root" the phone. This gives you "superuser" (or administrator) rights which gives you much more power over the phone. But in this case, power can be very dangerous. You don't sound savvy enough (yet) to try rooting your phone. You can "brick" or hose your phone up if you even remove the wrong file or app. So don't try this unless you know what you are doing. Just trying to explain why you can't take some things out.

It is a very well documented process. You can read about it both on this forum and at www.myascend.org, another good Ascend site (geared a little more towards the techie). Just be sure of what you are doing if you attempt to root your phone.

5. ickster

Hold your finger down on any app and you can drag it all around to the various windows, including the trash can which will appear in the bottom right corner. When you throw it away, it doesn't leave the area where all the apps are. To remove apps from there you have to go to Settings (an icon that looks like a gear), then to Applications.

Likewise, you can hold your finger down on any of the nine screens and this will open the widget options. Try changing your "live wallpaper"

There are tons of apps at the "Market" You have to have a google gmail account for that. Once they have your credit card info, you can seamlessly ad any paid or free app from the website to your Ascend. It's very cool. There has always been an App called "Market" where you can download apps onto your phone. But google just this past week opened a new website, www.market.android.com that is really sweet. It seamlessly and quickly adds apps right onto your phone. There are hundreds of apps there Free and paid.

I hope all this is helpful to you.... don't mean to be too simplistic...just seemed like you had no idea where to start.

6. Lennatron

Lennatron Android Enthusiast

I was going through the same thing too. The Ascend was my first smartphone. I can help you with some basic questions. You can send me a PM (Private Message) with your questions by clicking on my name and then clicking send a private message.

7. Jazziette

Jazziette Android Expert

Hi TerrorMom!

Welcome to the Huawei Ascend Forum!

We're here to help each other with our phones so fire away with any questions you have and we will do all we can to help!

I went through the same thing you're going through so don't feel like any question is too dumb. LOL

:)

8. bigmikesr

bigmikesr Lurker

My brother just gave me the Huawei Ascend, and Im trying to locate online documentation for it, cant figure this thing out, my brain is about to explode.

9. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert

I have a slightly dated guide... Google "ultimate ascend customization guide"

It will give you a good idea of your options on a rooted phone.
    Feel free to pm me with questione

10. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

You may also want to check out the "Handy Ascend Download Links" thread here in the ASCEND forum as well,especially if you're
    wanting the factory users guide.