• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a Media Player that Can..?

Thorman

Mar 18, 2012
Hi All,

Before my Android...i was chained to my BB (not only because it was outlook ready...but the audio player was very good).

I listen to a lot of Audio Books...and like to create folders to put my music and Audio books into Categories.

The media player that i have installed on my "LG Motion 4g" is using the "ice cream 4 operating system."

Can anyone suggest a good media player for someone who NEEDS to keep his audio files in folders and in order?

The player that i have installed with the DROID is called "music player.lge.music (size 12mb).

The sound is decent...but when i make folders in Windows Explorer under the SIM card...the player does not recognize the folders under folders.

In other words...i can't create a folder called "Jazz" and place my Jazz musicians under neath that folder. It throws them all under the Main Folder called "Music."

Please....Help a brother out...!

~thanks in advance for your constructive input

The sound is decent...but when i make folders in Windows Explorer under the SIM card...the player does not recognize the folders under folders.

In other words...i can't create a folder called "Jazz" and place my Jazz musicians under neath that folder. It throws them all under the Main Folder called "Music."

Please....Help a brother out...!

~thanks in advance for your constructive input
is the Sim the external or internal card? How are you trying to play the music in the Jazz folder? I'm just curious as to why the new folders won't work.

Upvote 0
@saptech,

No...its an internal memory card.

PS.
Audio books on my desktop...have folders. So lets say you have the book called "millionare mind' and it has 10 chapters. Each chapter is a folder with numbered audio files under that folder. The audio player should have the Main Title "millionare mind"...then under it....the chapters of the book with their audio files.

Not sure why this is so difficult with this Droid. (sigh)

THE BB handled this by simply dragging the folder...and that was it....everything was in order.

Dayum...now i'm missing that old phone (sigh).

Upvote 0
I just recently switched from an iPod Touch to Galaxy S3 and at first I too was struggling to find a good music player (though for different reasons than yourself). Finally I found one called PlayerPro and it really has all the features I need and then some, including a folder view which preserves the folder tree structure (as opposed to the native S3 app which just shows a list of all the folders). It also has some nice looking skins, it will download album and artist art and will let you edit tags on the device which are the features that I really like. I don't mean to sound like an ad but I'm just happy to have found a good player after almost having given up hope for a while. It is a paid app though, so if you only need the folder thing perhaps there are some free players that will satisfy your needs.

Of the ones I've tried I think Rocket Music Player and Google Play Music are decent free players but neither appears to have the feature you are looking for. I suggest searching for 'folder player' in the Play Store as several apps appear to be carrying a name along those lines. I haven't tried any of them though.

As an aside, I'm an avid audiobook listener myself and I have downloaded an app called Smart Audiobook Player (there are others as well). I haven't had a chance to test it yet though as I'm still listening to some books from Audible using their official app. But perhaps you can also try looking into players that are optimized for audiobooks.

Upvote 0
Have you tried ASTRO File Manager? That's how I finally figured out how to organize my photos. From within the program you can make a new folder. Then select multi-select and highlight folders or files you want to add to the new folder. If something I want is on my computer you can slide the main screen (in ASTRO) to the right and a new list appears that includes "scan network". Once I select that it is pretty much like copying files between computer and laptop with Windows.

Upvote 0
The Android music folder is not designed to recognize folders, but recognizes the ID3 tags associated with each media file. For example, I can tag my Rock music with the Rock genre tag, and the Jazz with a "Jazz" tag. I can throw them into any folder I want, or even together in one folder, but the music player will still be able to separate them by genre. Use a program like Tagscanner to tag your music.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones