1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is there a podcasting app that has all these features?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by zenbug, Oct 15, 2014.

1. zenbug

zenbug Lurker

Hi!

I recently moved from iOS to Android and I'm looking for a podcasting app that will suit my needs. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Configurable speed adjustment for each podcast
    2. Ability to start each podcast X seconds in, AND end the podcast X seconds early (theme songs play at both ends!)
    3. Configurable skip time for forward and backward commands
    4. "The Leo Jump" (skip forward two-and-a-half minutes, the length of a commercial break on many podcasts) independent of the configured forward-skip setting
    5. (bonus, but not crucial) Configurable volume preset for each podcast

On iOS, I was using iCatcher, which has all those features except #5. Downcast for iOS has all except #2 and #4.

On Android, I've tried Podcast Addict, Doggcatcher, Pocket Casts, and Podcast Republic. None of them have all those features. None have #4 or #5. As far as #2, some let me start a podcast a few seconds in, but none let me end the episode early.

I'm happy to pay for an app that does. Any such thing?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. podcastaddict

podcastaddict Lurker

You can change the 'skip forward' duration jump globally or per podcast in Podcast Addict, so you can definitely to #4
    The only thing missing are 'end the podcast X seconds early' and #5

3. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

I use Podcast Addict, I just manually adjust the slider to skip intros and outros.

4. podcastaddict

podcastaddict Lurker

You can define an 'offset' per podcast so the app will skip automatically the intro

5. zenbug

zenbug Lurker

Skipping the intro is great, but I'm not sure why no one has added the ability to skip the outro as well, what with all the end credits on shows like This American Life and such.

It's great that Podcast Addict lets me change the skip duration per podcast, but that's not what I mean. iCatcher let me assign skip-forward lengths to gestures, so I could have multiple skip lengths per podcast. For example, for a single podcast, I could make the forward button on my headphones skip ahead 30 seconds, but I could alternatively draw an "L" on the screen with my finger and make it skip forward 2-1/2 minutes. In addition to that, I could swipe forward on the screen and make it skip forward only 10 seconds. This made navigating a podcast with a lot of ads really simple and fast.