• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a power button app that brings up the system power menu?

all the power button apps I've seen or installed in the past seem to use their own custom menus.
Also, the power off option seems to power down way faster than stock, so I dunno if it's a proper shutdown

I just want a soft power button, nothing more, which brings up the default stock power menu.
A minimalist app with no bloat, no ads, no 'donate' button, etc.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure you need to be rooted for an app to do this...or have the app created (signed) as a system app and installed in your /system partition (again, it takes root to do that).

The ShutdownThread() method that would have to be called to do a clean shutdown (called by the stock power menu) is an internal function.

It's interesting to note that root apps (as far as I know, including mine) that can do this, use the "reboot -p" command which does an immediate (i.e., non-clean) shutdown.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure you need to be rooted for an app to do this...or have the app created (signed) as a system app and installed in your /system partition (again, it takes root to do that).

The ShutdownThread() method that would have to be called to do a clean shutdown (called by the stock power menu) is an internal function.

It's interesting to note that root apps (as far as I know, including mine) that can do this, use the "reboot -p" command which does an immediate (i.e., non-clean) shutdown.

I'm rooted already.

yeah, that dirty shutdown is what I don't want.

You would think it would be simple code to bring up the stock power menu..... hold down a power widget, boom, stock power menu pops up.
But I have found no such app.

Upvote 0
IMG_20161224_130013.jpg

If you are rooted, try Link2sd, even the free version has a power menu with all features.

Upvote 0
You can use button saviour to do this. Long press on the on screen screen off button brings up the power menu. You can have this as the only function if you want.

YES!

This does what I want. Brings up the stock power menu.
I only wish I could keep just the power button function of Button Saviour and delete the rest of the bloat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones