• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there a ROM that fixes the charging issue?

A.Nonymous

Extreme Android User
Jun 7, 2010
So I made the mistake of trying to drive 80 mins using my DInc as a GPS unit. Drained about 25% of my battery. On the way back I didn't use GPS, but had BT turned on. In 80 mins it charged my battery 5%. With 2.1 and this same charger I didn't have this problem. My problem there was that the battery got really hot and stopped charging. I fixed this by simply mounting the thing in front of an A/C vent. Problem solved. Now Froyo has "fixed" this overheating issue by making the phone not charge so fast so it's now basically useless as a GPS unit IMO. Is there a ROM out there that fixes this charging issue?

I ran SR Vanilla without that problem. Perhaps you can try a different kernel, i.e. Kings #5? I remember when this problem arose and I tried it myself. I loaded Radiotime, and ran the GPS Nav while plugged in to the car charger. It charged no problem so it's hard for me to replicate your issue. Maybe others can help a bit more, sorry. I guess it can't be the charger since it worked before, right?

Upvote 0
I ran SR Vanilla without that problem. Perhaps you can try a different kernel, i.e. Kings #5? I remember when this problem arose and I tried it myself. I loaded Radiotime, and ran the GPS Nav while plugged in to the car charger. It charged no problem so it's hard for me to replicate your issue. Maybe others can help a bit more, sorry. I guess it can't be the charger since it worked before, right?

It worked with non-rooted Eclair. It charged fast enough that it overheated the battery. Once I solved the overheating issue, I had no problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones