• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is there a time period i need to activate a new sim card

jonie72

Aug 22, 2011
Hi,

I bought a LG Optimus T on 8/16 but have not used yet (ie no telephone number yet).

1) Do I need to activate this phone within a certain period, like 30 days or ??
Note: The SIM card is preinstalled by Tmobile and has a activate by 6/24/2013 date.

2) I also bought a $10 prepaid card. Is there expiration date on this new prepaid card? I didn't see any date on this prepaid card.

Please help if you know the answer. Tmobile chatline wasn't able to give me a definite answer...keep telling me the $10 card will expired in 90 days once I use it.

Thanks.
/jonie

Some T-Mo reps will tell you that they expire after 45 days. However I'm not so sure that that statement is true. I had the same SIM card for close to 5 years, upgraded new phones 3 times for my line and 2 times for my wife. So over those 5 years I've also gotten 5 new SIM cards.

Earlier this year I my wife's SIM card went bad and gave T-Mo a SIM number from a card that was 3 years old. My wife's phone and SIM have worked fine with no problems.

My SIM card went bad on me yesterday and I called T-Mo with a 2 year old and it's been working fine with no problems as well.

Hope that answers your question :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones