1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Is there a way or voice app to "teach" it commands to run an app? (Open chat session with voice)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jay3, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    The text translation on ICS is getting really good, but it's only useful within an app to me. When I'm using the straight voice search command from outside an app, the only "verbs" I can get it to recognize are call, find, and text ( or message). For the "text" command it uses SMS. I don't text much. Don't have a text plan.

But I chat with my wife all the time on G+ and GTalk. Is there a way to teach it, for example, so I could say "Chat [wife name] I'm on my way home" and have it automatically open a window in either GTalk or G+ (or any other program for that matter).

It seems like you ought to have an app that lets you establish certain words like "chat" will go with your pre-identified default chat client. Or that "text" can mean another client like Google Voice.

Advertisement

2. Gunner

Gunner Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 9, 2009
  3. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks!

It seems like it should be easy. The hard part is the technology to transcript speech to text. Now all that's needed in as an app that let's you code the first word of a speech dictation to be associated with an app, like "chat" or something.

4. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    I dont' really want a Siri-like solution, where I'm asking it questions. I just want to be able to start some common tasks by voice.

5. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    There are third party apps like speaktoit and vlingo that have more commands, like posting Facebook status and things like that, those are worth checking. Speaktoit does have a "conversation mode" like sir I but you can disable it.

Tags: