• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a way to download apps from the market website?

Zebulon

Android Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
www.facebook.com
I have been running into a bad case of missing app syndrome in the market on my G Tab. I have rooted it already, and I am running VEGAn. I did the market fix as specified on the how-to thread. However, I am still missing apps in the market.

I have been trying to download apps from www.market.android.com, but that doesn't work because it claims that my G Tab is not compatible. Is there a way to make the market site recognize the tablet as a viable option?

Edit: I have installed Busybox and MarketEnabler, but it has not helped.

I have been running into a bad case of missing app syndrome in the market on my G Tab. I have rooted it already, and I am running VEGAn. I did the market fix as specified on the how-to thread. However, I am still missing apps in the market.

I have been trying to download apps from www.market.android.com, but that doesn't work because it claims that my G Tab is not compatible. Is there a way to make the market site recognize the tablet as a viable option?

Edit: I have installed Busybox and MarketEnabler, but it has not helped.

There's one more way to fix the market. It involves Root Explorer and changing your "fingerprint" of your device. I did this a while back when I first installed Vegan.

xda-developers - View Single Post - Full market (improved market fix) on G Tablet

Upvote 0
Try this.

Turn off WiFi>
Turn on Flight Mode>
Turn on WiFi>

and you should be able to access restricted apps on the market after that. It turns off your SIM card and market doesn't know what network you are using. Useful if you want to install some type of Wireless Tether app or other restricted apps.

Not sure if this will help with the Tablet issue but its worth a try and it will allow for tether apps. Market Enabler never work for me but this did. An AT&T Tech taught me this trick.

Upvote 0
I've not found a way to do it. My "work around" was to download the app from my phone, then either adb pull it from the phone, or email the apk to myself.

Then, on the tab, just install the APK. Is there an app in particular you are looking for? If so, I might be able to pull it if you can not.

First off, that's cool of you to offer to our forum member.

Second, since you seem proficient in the Android ways, have you tried the fix that I mentioned by changing the build prop using root explorer? There's probably also another way using ADB but to be honest I suck at ADB. haha.

Upvote 0
First off, that's cool of you to offer to our forum member.

Second, since you seem proficient in the Android ways, have you tried the fix that I mentioned by changing the build prop using root explorer? There's probably also another way using ADB but to be honest I suck at ADB. haha.

I did, but it didn't get all of the apps enabled. There were some local news apps that would never show up.

I used ADB as well. Pulled the prop file (adb pull), edited it on the PC, and used adb push to send it back to there.

Upvote 0
I've not found a way to do it. My "work around" was to download the app from my phone, then either adb pull it from the phone, or email the apk to myself.

Then, on the tab, just install the APK. Is there an app in particular you are looking for? If so, I might be able to pull it if you can not.

Thanks for the offer, but the main app I was hoping to download is N64OID, which I have already downloaded on my phone. There are several apps that I haven't been able to find on the market, though. Pretty much everything from the Tegra Zone site is gone from the market for me.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, this is my first post here but thought I would chime in. I just purchased a G-tablet on Monday, I waited to check out the Xoom but can't justify the $700 price compared to the $379.00 I paid for my G-Tablet...at least for what I'm going to be using it for I couldnt justify it. Just last night I rooted it and I am running Vegan and I have full access to the market now with no problems. In addition to that the thing seems a lot faster now too(might just be my imagination) and I can configue my home screen and all apps and icons exactly like my HTC G2 phone for ease of operation when going back and forth between devices, this thing now navigates and works just like the G2. I suspect that there is a very recent updated version of Vegan now becuase a couple of my friends have bought G-Tabs in the past month and also rooted theirs (early Feb) and running Vegan and ran into similar Android Market issues that you are describing. They were all curious if my "conversion" worked or not, one of them was at my house while I was rooting and was suprised to see mine working with no issues whatsoever. Last night when he got home he re-rooted and removed and reinstalled Vegan and his is up and running the full Android Market now as well.

I am in no way an expert and can't promise this will fix yours but it's worth a try, two G Tabs with vegan installed yesterday both with full market access, I suspect something has changed or been updated very very recently

My initial impressions of the rooted G-Tablet are very good, although having only played around with it for a few hours probably has not been enough time to expose any serious bumps, bugs or flaws. I've wanted a tablet since the first time I played with an iPad but I'm an Apple hater (except iPod) and an Android lover, I had the first Android phone ever(G1) two and a half years ago and have been hooked ever since. The G-Tablet paired with my G2 phone which can create it's own wireless tethering WiFi hot spot are a perfect pair.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones