• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a way to download large maps for offline use in Google Maps?

Paddy Landau

Apr 1, 2013
United Kingdom
Google Maps lets you download selected areas for offline access, useful when travelling to areas without data access or when roaming to save on data costs.

The limitations are that you need to know precisely where you'll be going, and to painstakingly cache a series of maps.

There used to be a way to download entire regions (Rmaps and Mobile Atlas Creator), which Google Maps could use.

Unfortunately, those apps have been discontinued.

I have found other apps that provide offline maps, but they are incompatible with Google Maps.

Is there any way to download larger areas for offline access by Google Maps?

There are nav apps that can use the Open Map Project maps.
Thanks; I've seen a couple, but are they compatible with Google Maps?

In other words, if I download the Open Map for a specific region, will I be able to use Google Navigation in that area when I have no signal?

If so, which app can I use, and how do I tell Google Maps and Navigation to use the map?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
... In other words, if I download the Open Map for a specific region, will I be able to use Google Navigation in that area when I have no signal? ...

Why would you want this? Why not just download a mapping app that can navigate offline? There are plenty about. "Search" in this forum as the topic comes up every few days so you'll find plenty of examples.

Dave

Upvote 0
I have been using OsmAnd free, without question it is one of the best offline maps and navigation apps. The difference between the free and paid version is the free is limited to 10 installs of OpenMaps data.

Its interface is easy to use, graphics are polished, and I have found it to be responsive and accurate with navigation.

Its a must try.

Welcome To OsmAnd

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones