• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a way to get earphones that work like the iPhone?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of help. I searched the internet and the forum, but came up empty.

I'm looking for a way (through software or new earphones) to get the headset on my SGS2 to work like my old iPhone did.

What I mean by this is, I want a pair of ear buds with a microphone, I want the button to pause / play with one press, skip forward with two presses, skip back with three presses, and have separate buttons (or easy controls) for the volume.

I hate to admit it, but this is one area where I really, desperately, miss my old iPhone.

I'm currently using my old iPhone earphones (Sony, three button mic, made for iPhone). They sound great, but the volume buttons are completely useless and the middle button only works when it feels like it. They're still more functional than the stock earphones.

Please help.

Hi,

My stock headset with the S" is okay for me - they are earbuds, have mic, and a button.

If using doubletwist (my current player of choice) if i press the button it plays pauses the song. double press skips to next song. I use this mainly when running as the cord is fairly long (im 6'2'")

only thing missing is a volume slider.

Plantronics BackBeat 216 Stereo Headphones with Mic - seems decent but never used.

Upvote 0
Here's what I've learned since yesterday.

I've tested headset droid and headset button control. Neither did anything to change the device / accessory's behaviour. Glad I didn't buy them. Next song was more of the same.

I've tested every music player I can get my hands on. Of these, I've found that doubletwist player has the best controls.

It has: one click pause / play, two clicks next song, three clicks last song.

Volume buttons still do nothing. There is no easy way to change the volume.

I tried a different headset. I went to the local electronics store and bought a headset for the Galaxy S2 SC02C (my exact model). What I learned? It's a waste of time. That headset had only one button that worked the same (but not as reliably) as the centre button on my iPhone headset. The sound quality was also significantly worse. This headset will end up being a backup.

So, still looking for a three button headset that works, or possibly three button support from doubletwist.

Upvote 0
I'd prefer a wired headset if possible. Thanks for the info though, will investigate.

Update: I just had a look at the model you recommended. No offence, but I have to ask, what's the point? They look like they'd have all the inconveniences of a wired headset and all the inconveniences of a Bluetooth headset. Is there something I'm missing?

Not sure what the inconveniences are (except having to charge once a week). The connect when you switch on and have all the controls you want. The sound quality is good.

I use them mainly for listening to audiobooks and they work well for me.

I do find it strange that there aren't readily available wired earphones though.

Peter

Upvote 0
Here's what I've learned since yesterday.

I've tested headset droid and headset button control. Neither did anything to change the device / accessory's behaviour. Glad I didn't buy them. Next song was more of the same.

I've tested every music player I can get my hands on. Of these, I've found that doubletwist player has the best controls.

It has: one click pause / play, two clicks next song, three clicks last song.

Volume buttons still do nothing. There is no easy way to change the volume.

I tried a different headset. I went to the local electronics store and bought a headset for the Galaxy S2 SC02C (my exact model). What I learned? It's a waste of time. That headset had only one button that worked the same (but not as reliably) as the centre button on my iPhone headset. The sound quality was also significantly worse. This headset will end up being a backup.

So, still looking for a three button headset that works, or possibly three button support from doubletwist.

I bought a pair of a-Jays one click button earbuds and discovered that the a-Jays didn't really work on my SGS2 using the a-Jays app from the Android market however the Headset Button Controller works fine. Perhaps a-Jays can learn something from HBC!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones