1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support is there a way to get Google voice to work incoming and outgoing calls without taking mins??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cvc7chris, Feb 26, 2011.

1. cvc7chris

cvc7chris Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    I got a VM Optimus V and i been trying to get google voice to work on it and it works fine for incoming but for outgoing it wouldn't work so i installed an app called "google voice call back" it calls you back with ur google number and connects you to the number you originally dialed, but it seems to be taking up minutes either incoming or outgoing. i haven't figured it out yet from my testing. i was just wondering if there was a way to do it efficiently and whats the process to root this phone? i have a EVO 4G i rooted but i couldn't find a thread online to root the optimus v...

any help would be greatly appreciated it.

Advertisement

2. cvc7chris

None

Jan 12, 2011
    i have tried sipdroid but it's kinda hard to configure it. i have it connected with my google number but how do you change it to receive incoming gv calls?

i have outgoing calls going thru fine with data, but incoming calls (fowarded by google) use up minutes i belive since the 3G Icon disappears. and once i click on "foward thru google talk" and unclick foward to "phone" my phone just never rings.

3. Ballotechnic

Ballotechnic Newbie
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    I believe the only way to avoid using minutes is while you must have a wi-fi connection. If you dial the number through Google Voice, while connected to wi-fi, it should be an internet call and not consume minutes.

4. jj2me

jj2me Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    I'm new at this, having made only two outgoing minute-less wi-fi calls so far. The simplest way seems to be sipdroid + Google Voice. I stumbled through the process and don't recall what I did, but a kind poster at howardforums gives a detailed step-by-step here.

I've seen complaints that you have a Google Chat open, and might get somebody trying to chat with you. And you give your login/pw to pbxes.org in the setup. And others say csipsimple is better (but takes up more MB and doesn't have a built-in pbxes.org or similar). And some prefer to use Gizmo5 (bought from eBay), but I believe I also read that there is a quite short limit to free minutes on Gizmo5. There are pay services too. If you don't like sipdroid's approach, then it's probably best to read that entire thread linked above.

A neat, fast, free app is "Minutes Checker: Virgin Mobile". That'll let you know if you did the wi-fi call or not, more easily than using "My Account".

5. cvc7chris

None

Jan 12, 2011
    i got it to work last night. but it's still have a few bugs in it. i will check out that guide

i get incoming calls and work fine, and i get the called id from the caller but when i call using sipdroid, the recipient gets "unavailable ID"

6. chrissurra

chrissurra Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Use this guide Sipdroid - Free VOIP Via Google Voice

I have it setup to make calls over wifi and 3g through the main dialer all you have to do is add a "+" to the end of the number you want to call.

jj2me likes this.
  7. cvc7chris

None

Jan 12, 2011
    so using the OEM dialer all i gotta do is add the "+"

8. chrissurra

chrissurra Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Yes if set it up correctly using the guide I posted all you have to do is add the + at the end of the number in the OEM dialer and it will automatically use wifi/3G and not your plan minutes.

9. cvc7chris

None

Jan 12, 2011
    well i set it up without the guide last night and i've been using it and it doesn't take away minutes so far and i am not using the +

but my call quality does suck to the recipient tho. my side is decent and it lags

10. cvc7chris

None

Jan 12, 2011
    Sipdroid has stopped working on my phone and my gf's phone. we both have optimus v.

it keeps saying timed out. i rebooted phone and it said the same thing.

i closed the sipdroid app and same thing. i get a little red icon on the taskbar! ugh!

11. chrissurra

chrissurra Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    That happened to me too I got an email stating the account had to be verified, after I did that step it worked.

12. cvc7chris

None

Jan 12, 2011
    well crap i never got an email.

13. hemplacrosse4

hemplacrosse4 Well-Known Member
    None

May 29, 2010
    How are you guys setting up Sipdroid, is there a video online with step by step instructions?

14. TVCCS

TVCCS Android Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    Consultant/Editor/Writer
    Los Angeles, CA
    As posted earlier...so far this is the best set of instructions out there:

Wifi calling on Optimus V?

1. Create a Gmail account if you don't have one. (from your computer)
    2. Log in to your gmail account and setup a google voice # (from your computer)
    3. In Google Voice, make sure you set up a forward #, could be your home, cell, etc. (from your computer).
    4. After the above is all setup, now on your Optimus V android phone, download Google Voice app from market.
    5. Install GoogleVoice App and it will prompt you to login to the app when install is complete, if not just open the app from the application menu. (From Android Phone)
    6. Login to Google Voice from the account you setup on Step 1. (From Android Phone)
    7. As you go thru the setup on Google Voice app, it will prompt you to choose a forward # (the number that you setup on step #3) If you didn't complete step #3 above, no number will show up on this screen and it will not work. (From Android Phone)
    8. Once you complete step #7, it will prompt you to setup voicemail, etc.. I skipped this step (From Android Phone)
    9. Now go back to Android market and download Sipdroid. (From Android Phone)
    10. Once sipdroid is installed, open the app and there will be a link on the bottom to setup the account. (as mention, this link will only show up if your google voice is up and running) (From Android Phone)
    11. fill in the account name (I use the same as my google voice username) (From Android Phone)
    12. the google voice name is pre-populated, under that put in your google voice password and confirmed the password. (From Android Phone)
    13. for me, it took about a minute or 2 and then the sipdroid app opened up. (From Android Phone)
    14. on that screen, press the menu key (left most key on the phone NOT ON SCREEN) and select settings (From Android Phone)
    15. go to the newly created account, it should be something like ex. oldroadfan-200@pbxes.org (From Android Phone)
    16. put a check on Use WLAN (From Android Phone).
    17. Now lets go back to your Google voice app and change the account settings to "do not use for calls" you can do this in step 8 (From Android Phone)
    18. Now try to make a phone call from the sipdroid main menu. type a number and send. (From Android Phone)
    19. To receive call on your android phone, you have to logon to your google voice account and in voice account settings, uncheck the forward to your mobile and only have forward to googlechat checked.

15. cvc7chris

None

Jan 12, 2011
    The quality is horrrrible here. it's unbelievable. i have full bars and people can't hear crap of what i say. but the walkie talk app works perfectly clear! they need a special app for this!

16. TVCCS

TVCCS Android Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    Consultant/Editor/Writer
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah...I have good success with Tikl myself. The whole Google Voice/Sipdroid thing is too inconsistent, and too involved, for my liking. If I need more than 300 minutes, I'll just upgrade as needed.

17. cvc7chris

None

Jan 12, 2011
    ^ yeah but once u run out of ur 300 minutes are you able to upgrade then and there, or u have to wait til ur 30 day period is over?

18. TVCCS

TVCCS Android Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    Consultant/Editor/Writer
    Los Angeles, CA
    You have the option of buying added minutes at 10 cents per minute, or you can restart your plan's monthly renewal date and change your plan at that time, if needed.

19. cvc7chris

None

Jan 12, 2011
    that's awesome. i did not know that! thanks for the heads up. i'm new with virgin mobile. first month here. i'm a sprint customer lol (or was)

if only there was an app like TIKL with the same quality that stayed connected without pressing buttons haha

20. melissapugs

melissapugs Android Enthusiast
    None

I didn't want to pay to jump to the next virgin plan at $40/1200 minutes. I have also read about the unreliability of the 'free' fixes for voip, as above. I am running skype with an unlimited calling plan, which is $2.99 per month - that allows calls to landlines and cells anywhere in the US. I then got a discount on purchasing an actual digital number for people to call - $12 for three months. I have been using this for a few days with no problems. Now I can talk to anyone with unlimited minutes as long as I am in wifi or decent 3G coverage. This was more cost effective than the next minute tier, and leaves me open to cancel if I am not happy in three months. I still use the virgin number for texts, as I believe I don't get unlimited texts included in my skype plan for any reasonable amount of money.
    I saw on vonage that they have a mobile plan for about $20 per month with unlimited INTERNATIONAL calling...something to consider.

Tags: