• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there a way to limit/remove "Share" options for gallery pictures, files, etc??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
I'm posting in this in the rooted forum, figuring any fix will require root...

When I choose to "share" a picture in my Gallery (this occurs when I "share" other files in other locations) I get a RIDICULOUSLY long list of options:

Bluetooth
chompSMS
Desktop Visualizer
Dropbox
Facebook
Facebook for HTC Sense
Gmail
Googles
K-9 Mail
Mail
Picasa
Yahoo! Mail
YouTube

I really need only ONE or TWO of the above. Is there any way to trim this list down??

THANKS!

I'm posting in this in the rooted forum, figuring any fix will require root...

When I choose to "share" a picture in my Gallery (this occurs when I "share" other files in other locations) I get a RIDICULOUSLY long list of options:

Bluetooth
chompSMS
Desktop Visualizer
Dropbox
Facebook
Facebook for HTC Sense
Gmail
Googles
K-9 Mail
Mail
Picasa
Yahoo! Mail
YouTube

I really need only ONE or TWO of the above. Is there any way to trim this list down??

THANKS!

Yea delete some apps. All those apps have sharing capabilities..

Upvote 0
Yea delete some apps. All those apps have sharing capabilities..

Well, I'm certain that would work...but NOT a fix in this circumstance. That's like saying, "How do I get my youngest son to behave like my oldest son?" and getting the answer "...just get rid of the youngest son!" :D

I use many of the other apps. Plus other apps you just cannot delete without causing a problem. I just need to "root out" the share options for some of the apps.

Upvote 0
Like I said, all those apps have sharing capabilities. The only way you could remove them from the list would be to decompile the apks and adjust the XML files. Other than that you are going to have to learn to live with it. And selling your son is never the write answer.. ;)

Ohhhh, I know! And I also know it wasn't going to be me decompiling the APKs!!:D Just thought sommmmeone somewhere might have done so, or figured out a much easier way to control what is shown in the share list.

And I NEVER mentioned selling my son. Lease perhaps... ;)

Upvote 0
Ohhhh, I know! And I also know it wasn't going to be me decompiling the APKs!!:D Just thought sommmmeone somewhere might have done so, or figured out a much easier way to control what is shown in the share list.

And I NEVER mentioned selling my son. Lease perhaps... ;)

So I'm still thinking of leasing my son :D ...just wondering if anyone has found a way to limit this list of "share" options, short of the obvious with uninstalling the apps that have share capabilities...??

Upvote 0
Hey, just wanted to see if anyone's come up with a solution for this yet. Googled and it brought me here. Seems to be relevant to all Android phones (I'm using an LG Ally with Froyo). My issue is that the list takes so long to read all those apps, it severely hinders usability of the "Share" list... I only use three: Facebook (not MySpace or any of those other social apps in the list), Handcent SMS (not Messaging, also in the list), and Bluetooth File Transfer (not Bluetooth, also in the list). You can see how this can get to be a problem: the phone's preoccupied with populating list entries for apps I don't even use.

If someone came up with an app that would:
1) emulate each of the Android system's built-in "providers" and use the Android system call to pull up a list of providers for each task, like opening files, opening messaging, sending mail, sending pix, etc...
2) take that list and present it to me for editing/enable-disable items
3) "recompile" those APKs or otherwise perform this disabling/enabling of providers
... I'd gladly shell out $3 or $5 for it. :D

Upvote 0
Hey, just wanted to see if anyone's come up with a solution for this yet. Googled and it brought me here. Seems to be relevant to all Android phones (I'm using an LG Ally with Froyo). My issue is that the list takes so long to read all those apps, it severely hinders usability of the "Share" list... I only use three: Facebook (not MySpace or any of those other social apps in the list), Handcent SMS (not Messaging, also in the list), and Bluetooth File Transfer (not Bluetooth, also in the list). You can see how this can get to be a problem: the phone's preoccupied with populating list entries for apps I don't even use.

If someone came up with an app that would:
1) emulate each of the Android system's built-in "providers" and use the Android system call to pull up a list of providers for each task, like opening files, opening messaging, sending mail, sending pix, etc...
2) take that list and present it to me for editing/enable-disable items
3) "recompile" those APKs or otherwise perform this disabling/enabling of providers
... I'd gladly shell out $3 or $5 for it. :D

I'm with you. I was over at XDA and had a little glimmer of hope with an app if found posted. It seeeemed like it was sorta kinda maybe sorta like what could be done with the "Share" list, but instead of grouping like with the widgets, somehow masking/toggling the "Share" list.

Here's what I saw:

[App] AppWidgetPicker - xda-developers

But yes, as of now, still waiting...

Upvote 0
I'm with you. I was over at XDA and had a little glimmer of hope with an app if found posted. It seeeemed like it was sorta kinda maybe sorta like what could be done with the "Share" list, but instead of grouping like with the widgets, somehow masking/toggling the "Share" list.

Here's what I saw:

[App] AppWidgetPicker - xda-developers

But yes, as of now, still waiting...

Bumping this up/refreshing the issue with a reply...

As you can see in the discussions above, the consensus a few months ago is that there was NO fix for this...no way to control the sharing capabilities of apps listed in various "Share" option windows without decompiling the APKs and doing a bunch of tedious stuff.

I've been hopeful and I'm refreshing the issue...perhaps there is NOW some what to limit the what shows up on the "share" list of apps to share something from, e.g., the Gallery??

THANKS!!

Upvote 0
Bumping this up/refreshing the issue with a reply...

As you can see in the discussions above, the consensus a few months ago is that there was NO fix for this...no way to control the sharing capabilities of apps listed in various "Share" option windows without decompiling the APKs and doing a bunch of tedious stuff.

I've been hopeful and I'm refreshing the issue...perhaps there is NOW some what to limit the what shows up on the "share" list of apps to share something from, e.g., the Gallery??

THANKS!!

only by deleting them ..or editing them unfortunately.

ie..if you delete facebook..it's no longer in the share options.

as android matures I believe we will see an option within each app on whether or not it appears in that list (i think photobucket already has this)...but it will take time

Upvote 0

as android matures I believe we will see an option within each app on whether or not it appears in that list (i think photobucket already has this)...but it will take time

Might email the devs for those apps and let them know that you would like to see options for that. Not sure they will go for giving you something to exclude their app from use but worth a shot.

Upvote 0

UNlike;) Thanks for the info...one can hope for the future...

Upvote 0

Thinking/typing out loud here...

If it takes so much effort to tweak the apk and repackage it, perhaps there is an app out there that can let you choose your preferred/default app within that list??

When I first started this thread I was hoping to just limit the list to 2 or 3 choices rather than 12 or 13, but perhaps it would be easier to implement an add-on that would allow one to choose a default, like you can do when you choose your browser. I could live with that...with the 2 or 3 choices I was hoping for, in most circumstances, I probably use my "top choice" 95% of the time. But I would imagine my latest idea here probably also needs some fancy apk-ing to work...

Just another thought...

Upvote 0
Bumping my old thread up for some reconsideration after a few months of no discussion. Would REALLY like to see a solution to this if it is around so revisiting the issue with some hope...

So far the only suggestions were to delete the apps that are in the list (NOT an option, obviously) or decompiling the apks to adjust their including in the "Share" lists. And that suggest is WAY beyond my pay grade :D

So, any other things out on the street that could help this situation out??

Upvote 0
Bumping my old thread up for some reconsideration after a few months of no discussion. Would REALLY like to see a solution to this if it is around so revisiting the issue with some hope...

So far the only suggestions were to delete the apps that are in the list (NOT an option, obviously) or decompiling the apks to adjust their including in the "Share" lists. And that suggest is WAY beyond my pay grade :D

So, any other things out on the street that could help this situation out??

well the goal by decompiling the apks is to just delete those files from the system partitions. maybe try and just use titanium backup to freeze them.

Upvote 0
well the goal by decompiling the apks is to just delete those files from the system partitions. maybe try and just use titanium backup to freeze them.

I guess I misunderstood what was meant by "decompile"...thought it was to open the app, remove the part that list the app in the "shared" option on the phone and repackage the app again.

I don't want to freeze or uninstall the apps...I use the apps regularly but I only "share" with usually my messaging app or mail app. I just don't need to be prompted to "share" with Facebook and Flickr and Goggles and Picasa and etc, etc EVERY time I simply want to send a gallery picture to a friend...

Upvote 0
yeah i think what you are asking though is not as easy to do. it would mean that you would have to tear apart the rom(at least those associated with the other apps) reconfigure everything for that to happen. i'm no dev, but i do not think it is that easy to do. maybe try posting something over on xda. or you could try pm'ing one of the devs. lithid has a thread about developing. you might want to post something there.

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
yeah i think what you are asking though is not as easy to do. it would mean that you would have to tear apart the rom(at least those associated with the other apps) reconfigure everything for that to happen. i'm no dev, but i do not think it is that easy to do. maybe try posting something over on xda. or you could try pm'ing one of the devs. lithid has a thread about developing. you might want to post something there.

Thanks for the thought about contacting one of the devs or posting at XDA...and by the way, I just pushed you over 2000 THANKS!! Quite an accomplishment, congrats!!:)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm no dev either, but I would think that the best course of action would be with whatever android uses to display that list of shared apps. I'd think it would have to be something like
Code:
if $share-apps > 3 then limit $share-apps to $share-apps[0-2]
Maybe? Again, I don't know a thing about android dev.

EDIT:
I did some work with php and mysql this summer, and I know I've seen an app before that has created a database in the sd card.

So, what I'm thinking is, if someone did make an app to do this (limit the share list), they could probably use a database that keeps track of uses and limits the list to the top three (and it could have a button on the bottom to 'show all').

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I use the apps regularly but I only "share" with usually my messaging app or mail app.

This may require you do do things in a different order, but what if you just open the app, Messaging or mail, and just attach the picture or video you want to send?

I generally do it this way myself. Start to compose a message and then attach the photo i want to send.

Messaging app>Contact>Attach>Picture>Gallery Or Camera.

At the spot to choose whether or not to send a picture, video, or contact there is a list but the first one is,

Picture
Video
Audio
App Recommendation
Appointment

That is the way I have been doing it but this may even take longer I don't know as I haven't tried coming from the other side. IE: picking picture first then contact.

Hope this helps.

Naters

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones