• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a way to permanently block an app from asking for draw over permission?

Phrozt

Lurker
Aug 28, 2019
I have a touchpal keyboard which I like more than other keyboards, but as I'm sure you've all heard, it's practically like malware. The latest round of "fun" they added is that it wants to take over your screen when a phone call is ringing, so every phone call I get, I first have the settings window pop up asking to allow apps draw over access.

I'd like to know if there's a way to permanently ban an app from asking for permission.. but I know this one is a bit trickier because the draw over permission is separate from the others.

I'm on Android 8.0.0, Kernel 4.4.78

Thanks

"Draw over other apps" is not one of the permissions that Google offer individual control over even in Android 10, so if it won't accept "no" for an answer all I can suggest is finding a different keyboard.

(My wife's phone came with Touchpal, and she's generally not that particular about things like that, but a few months ago even she got fed up enough with it to replace it. It's been getting worse for years, and if this particular straw isn't the breaking point all of the evidence suggests that they'll come up with something else soon).

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones