1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is there a way to rearrange notifications at the top of your phone?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by dorlow, Jan 27, 2020.

1. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

I have a sound profile app. It seems to work well, but for whatever reason, its listed at the bottom of the notifications. When I first drag down on the screen to see notifications, the sound profile app to change the profiles isnt visible unless I drag the list up so I can see the bottom notification. The last sound profile app I used, it was always the first one listed. That one I used to use for some reason doesn't work right on my new phone. This new sound profile app works perfect except it's always at the bottom of the list.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

I just tried rebooting my phone thinking if it was the first to launch, it would be at the top, but it still is at the bottom.

3. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I don't know of any way to change where it's displayed.

A few of my apps--that run constantly, like KDE Connect and Termux--are always shown at the very bottom of the list. Like you, I have to scroll through [or swipe away] other notifications before being able to see them.

You said that your old app doesn't work on your new device, but what exactly is its problem? For example, it opens but then crashes, or it fails to open at all, or it produces an error message, etc. Maybe getting it to work would solve your problem.

Please tell us--and link to its Play Store page, if possible--the name of the old app, your phone's manufacturer and model, and its Android version. Hang in there!

Daniel Fernandes and MrJavi like this.
  4. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

The old one doesn't change the volumes correctly. I work in IT and I'm in an on call rotation. During the night, I need my call volume to be max volume, but I want the rest of the volumes (media and notifications) to be silent. With the sound profiles app I used to use, on my new phone, if I turn the volume of calls all the way up but everything else down, the volume for calls is off. The only way I can get it to have the volume of call rings to be max, I have to turn notifications max volume. If I do that, then my call volumes and notifications are max volume. I dont want to get woken up everytime I get an email or facebook updates.

My previous phone, I had it fine tuned so I really didn't have to turn it on night mode because it didn't make a noise unless it was something I had to act on. This new phone seems to make noises and it doesn't display in the notifications why it made the noise. So I need it to be on silent after hours. But while it's on silent, I have to be able to be paged. I also have a pager app because when I'm paged, they also send me a text. I have an app that catches those texts and makes my phone go bazzerk when I get those texts. With the call volume max and rest of the volumes off, the pager app still alerts me.

So that's my delima.

puppykickr likes this.
  5. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

On F-Droid there is an app called Sound Manager.

It is very plain ans simple, if your phone is compatible.

My 7.1.1 is only partially, but my 8.1.1 is fully.

It works ok on the partial and great on the full.

Attached Files:

MrJavi likes this.
  6. puppykickr

The screenshot is from the partially compatible.

On the full compatible device a three dot menu icon is in the lower right.

This icon allows you to modify the times that you want individual volume changes.

MrJavi likes this.
  7. puppykickr

Now to answer the question about rearranging the order of notifications.

Starting on your homescreen, pull down from the top to open your quick settings.

Find the Settings gear wheel icon, and long press it for 10+ seconds, until it animates (spins).

Close your quick settings, a d enter the phone settings.

Scroll towards the bottom, looking for System UI Tuner. This is what you activated by long pressing the gear wheel.

Inside the System UI Tuner, you will find a setting allowing adjusting of notification levels.

There are 5 different levels, and each has a different level of importance.

You can also allow some notifications to override Do Not Disturb, only show when you open the notifications, etc.

MrJavi likes this.
  8. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

I tried holding down the gear icon in the notifications for over 10 seconds and it didn't do anything. It didn't even open settings.

9. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

I found a system ui tuner shortcut app in the app store. I opened it and dont see any way to rearrange my notifications.

10. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Hmmm...not on my phone:

Screenshot_20200129-114340.png

Screenshot_20200129-114347.png

:thinking:

MrJavi likes this.
  11. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

Well, I can see I do have systemui on my phone from the factory. Just not sure how to get to it. (The other one that says systemui tuner is the app I installed.)

Attached Files:

12. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

#12 dorlow, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  13. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

You don't need a widget or special launcher! :)

System Settings | System | System UI Tuner

Screenshot_20200129-193756.png

And while Nova is a fine launcher, I prefer ADW. See some cool things it can do if you're interested.

MrJavi likes this.
  14. puppykickr

Okay, when I open my System UI Tuner, I then touch the three dot icon in the upper right.

Power Notification Control shows up.

Screenshot_2020-01-30_06-29-23.png

15. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

This is what I see.

Attached Files:

16. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

I've never had that, on any Android device.

System UI Tuner is clearly quite different for different devices. It would be nice if it was consistent!

17. puppykickr

Do you see where it says 'Remove From Settings'?

The three dot icon should be under that.

Enter the System UI Tuner via the phone settings and not by long pressing the pinwheel in the quick settings.
    Long pressing the icon spurs the option to disable the System UI Tuner.

18. puppykickr

And most Android devices are pretty standard at my price range, which is cheap. (Cheap cheap. So cheap, you would think that there are birds nearby.)
    Except of course, for Samsung, who strive to be 'different' (ie. difficult) just for the sake of being 'different', even in their cheapest devices.

19. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Nope. Never has been, as far as I can recall.

This is what I see when I first enter it:

Screenshot_20200130-144951.png

Pressing the 3-dot menu brings up 'remove from settings':

Screenshot_20200130-145000.png

That's how I always do it.

20. puppykickr

Then open your Do Not Disturb settings.

21. puppykickr

And what is NFC?

22. puppykickr

Could that be Notification Force Control?
    just a guess.

23. olbriar

olbriar  

NFC = Near Field Communication

MoodyBlues likes this.
  24. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Who are you directing that to? :thinking:

If me, here's what's under DND:

Screenshot_20200130-162958.png

I see that @olbriar has explained what NFC stands for; on Android, it lets two devices share data simply by touching each other [or being in very close proximity].

25. puppykickr

I wasn't aware.
    There are way too many initialized names thee days.
    Hell, I still call KFC Kentucky Fried Chicken.
    I think the Colonel would be turning in his grave
    if he saw what's happened since he's been gone.