• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a way to schedule the phone to turn off and on automatically?

just leave it plugged it overnight.....i do and i have not seen any long term battery issues because of it. once a phone is turned off.....it is off. nothing will run while the phone is off......so no there is no such thing.
Yea, there is. My last phone, the ZTE Blade Max View had this feature, and I had it scheduled to turn off at 11pn and back on at 6am. But it was also a newer phone that my Pro, with a newer version of Android.

Upvote 0
Yea, there is. My last phone, the ZTE Blade Max View had this feature, and I had it scheduled to turn off at 11pn and back on at 6am. But it was also a newer phone that my Pro, with a newer version of Android.
are you sure that was not just a deep sleep option with a schedule to wake up at a certain a time? phones are like computers. you can schedule a computer to shutdown at a certain time, but you can't schedule the computer to turn itself on. it needs someone to turn the power on......same with android phones.

i have yet to come across anything that suggests that it can boot up a phone at a scheduled time.

Upvote 0
are you sure that was not just a deep sleep option with a schedule to wake up at a certain a time? phones are like computers. you can schedule a computer to shutdown at a certain time, but you can't schedule the computer to turn itself on. it needs someone to turn the power on......same with android phones.

i have yet to come across anything that suggests that it can boot up a phone at a scheduled time.
Yep. It's a thing. It's even called "scheduled power on/off" in the phone's settings.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
phones are like computers. you can schedule a computer to shutdown at a certain time, but you can't schedule the computer to turn itself on.
It's definitely possible to schedule a computer to turn on by itself, if there's an option in the BIOS. Some computers have had that ability for 15-20 years, maybe longer.

and come back on a half hour before my alarm is set to go off?
Some phones will automatically turn on if you set an alarm with the stock Clock app, have you tested yours? Set the alarm to go off in an hour, turn it off and see what happens.

Might be an option if your phone doesn't have the "scheduled power on/off" feature included. Not sure if a separate app could turn on a phone that's power off.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Well, it's not magic, just a feature.
Well, actually what you're implying would have to involve magic. If you removed your phone's battery and then expected your phone to be able to start itself up that would be matter of defying laws of physics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_law
When you press the Power button on your phone, it's not an actual, physical switch where you connect/break a connection between the battery and the logic board, it's simply sending an electronic signal to either boot up or down. And those electronic signals can only exist when there's at least some power. It's not unlike a DVR player in your entertainment center where there's a little display showing the time, and you can use a remote to turn it on or off. The switch on that player is not an actual, physical switch either. If it was, the always-visible time display or the ability to detect the infra-red remote signal would also require magic. In that case the switch is just sending out signals for the player to do different functions. As for PCs that can be set to turn on/off in the BIOS or UEFI, PCs have CMOS batteries that retain things like time and hardware config settings even if the power cord is removed, smartphones do not. They rely solely upon the main battery (well, for some semi-permanent hardware config data a programmable firmware chip but that doesn't involve user data retention.)
Anyway, your phone does require at least some power at all times even when it's 'powered off'. That's essentially just nit-picking something that typically doesn't matter, but in this particular instance you do need to be aware of what's involved to do what you want. I'd suggest just enabling Airport Mode at night and letting your phone go into its low-power, deep sleep mode but whatever.

Upvote 0
Well, actually what you're implying would have to involve magic. If you removed your phone's battery and then expected your phone to be able to start itself up that would be matter of defying laws of physics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_law
When you press the Power button on your phone, it's not an actual, physical switch where you connect/break a connection between the battery and the logic board, it's simply sending an electronic signal to either boot up or down. And those electronic signals can only exist when there's at least some power. It's not unlike a DVR player in your entertainment center where there's a little display showing the time, and you can use a remote to turn it on or off. The switch on that player is not an actual, physical switch either. If it was, the always-visible time display or the ability to detect the infra-red remote signal would also require magic. In that case the switch is just sending out signals for the player to do different functions. As for PCs that can be set to turn on/off in the BIOS or UEFI, PCs have CMOS batteries that retain things like time and hardware config settings even if the power cord is removed, smartphones do not. They rely solely upon the main battery (well, for some semi-permanent hardware config data a programmable firmware chip but that doesn't involve user data retention.)
Anyway, your phone does require at least some power at all times even when it's 'powered off'. That's essentially just nit-picking something that typically doesn't matter, but in this particular instance you do need to be aware of what's involved to do what you want. I'd suggest just enabling Airport Mode at night and letting your phone go into its low-power, deep sleep mode but whatever.

Who said anything about removing the battery?

Upvote 0
My LG V60, my old phone, Note 9 and my wife's Note 20 Ultra has scheduled power on/off feature. I set it to do it once a week.

You can't set it to turn off at one time and come on at a later time but you can set it to cycle off then on at a set time. I set it for Wed 4 am and my alarm is at 6 am.
My LG V40 has the schedule power off feature, though it automatically restarts within an hour of the scheduled off time.

Mine BTW goes off every Sunday at 3:00am.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones