• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a way to set gmail to fetch mail more frequently?

Gmail is only push if you set it up as exchange. Standard IMAP or POP setup is not push.
K-9 Mail allows for mail checking every minute if you are not setup as an exchange account.

*edit, as I don't use the built in gmail app for my gmail account. I have 5 total email accounts and didn't want to use different mail programs. Not sure what the default gmail app uses for its connection settings.

Upvote 0
I went through the first-time-use setup on the phone and when it asked me to setup accounts Gmail was a choice. Not quite sure if it think its Exchange, but I setup an Exchange account too in a separate area (you have to choose "Corporate").

Im using the stock gmail app and its all push. As mentioned before I can send an email to my gmail account and Ill get it on the phone within a minute of it showing up in my gmail account on my PC (99% of the time its within 20 seconds or so, actually)

Upvote 0
Gmail is only push if you set it up as exchange. Standard IMAP or POP setup is not push.
Wrong. The gmail app is always push.

There may be something hung up in the OP's account sync (in the phone's Settings app). Try turning "Sync Gmail" for that account off and then on again... Or if it's just off, then you know what happened.

Reactions: adrynalyne
Upvote 0
K-9 Mail allows for mail checking every minute if you are not setup as an exchange account.

*edit, as I don't use the built in gmail app for my gmail account. I have 5 total email accounts and didn't want to use different mail programs. Not sure what the default gmail app uses for its connection settings.

Actually this is misinformation. When you set your Gmail account as imap you get push email, you do not need to set up as an exchange account. You then setup the stock mail app or K-9, or Maildroid as an imap client.

Upvote 0
Try clearing gmails cache and rebooting.

... There may be something hung up in the OP's account sync (in the phone's Settings app). Try turning "Sync Gmail" for that account off and then on again... Or if it's just off, then you know what happened.

These definitely seem like the right way to go. I would do both of these and let us know ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones