• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a way to set individual ringtones for various contacts?

Iqoniq

Jun 17, 2010
Notts
I'm just wondering whether there is any way that I can set individual ringtones for my contacts? There are a few people I answer the phone to everytime they ring and a few that I decide can wait until I can call them back, usually when I'm driving. As it's against the law to be messing with your phone while driving, I'm just wondering whether it's possible to set the ringtone to contacts individually so I know that I need to pull over and speak to them as opposed to having to check who is calling.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: tito135
An app called Ringo Pro. awesome app. you can set any mp3 as a ringtone and for different contacts. I use this with another app called Ringdroid as a combination. Ringdroid can crop any section of the mp3 for custom tones and use Ringo Pro to set it to individual contacts. be careful not to get the settings mixed up though.

Upvote 0
From what I can gather, this is a way to do it without the need for an app to do it for you.

Make the following folder on your SD card
/media/audio/ringtones/
copy your personal .mp3's into this folder (ones that you want to use as ringtones)
Reboot your phone

Android 1.5 cupcake
Goto contacts
Select contact required
Press menu/options button (left above answer call)
Select edit contact
Scroll to bottom of list
Second item from bottom is 'Ringtone' Press this and select your ringtone.

Android 2.1 eclair
Goto contacts
Select contact required
Press menu/options button
Select options (not edit contact)
Select 'ringtone' option
Pick a ringtone. (assigned ringtone is shown under the ringtone option)

Upvote 0
I've created the folder for ringtones and they show up perfectly in the sound and display settings. It won't, however, let me choose a ringtone for a contact.

I looked in the contacts and there is no ringtone option at the bottom of the contact.

I went through the music player, and chose to assign the mp3 file to a contact. It seemed like this would work, but when the contacts list comes up all I see are AT&T contacts.

If I search for the name of a contact, it will be found. However, when I click on it it does not attach the ringtone to it. It will only do it for the AT&T contacts.

Any thoughts?

Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) - Android 2.1

Upvote 0
From what I can gather, this is a way to do it without the need for an app to do it for you.

/media/audio/ringtones/
copy your personal .mp3's into this folder (ones that you want to use as ringtones)
Reboot your phone

Android 2.1 eclair
Goto contacts
Select contact required
Select 'ringtone' option

I'm running 2.1 on my Samsung Captivate and I don't see Options when I press the menu / options button. I just see Edit - Delete - Link Contact - Mark as Default - Send namecard via.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: yellowfairy
Upvote 0
I just discovered a workaround for adding ringtones to contacts on the Galaxy S without needing an App. OK, discover may be a stretch but I have not found any other site that has these steps.

Note that there are three types of contacts: SIMM, Phone and anything you sync from programs such as Outlook/Exchange. Apparently, the phone only supports custom ringtones on on "Phone Contacts". So if you want a special ringtone for any other contact it seems as if you are SOL but this is what I found works (sorry for providing such verbose directions):

1. Go to your Contacts list.
2. Go to "Menu", then "Create" and select a "Phone" Contact. Create a contact with the same name as the non-phone contact you want the custom ringtone for.
3. Add the same phone numbers to the Phone contact that are in your non-phone contact. It did not choke as I would have expected it to do having the same number twice in the system. I haven't personally tried this but I suppose that you can make multiple Phone Contacts - one for each number that you want a different ringtone on...
5. Add a personal ringtone to the Phone Contact and then save the contact.
6. Navigate to the non-phone contact and open it.
7. Pan down to the "Linked Contacts" section and click on it.
8. Select the "Add linked contacts" button.
9. Because the Phone contact has the same same, it should appear in a short list. Just add it to the linked contacts list and the rest is automatic. If it is not there, then select "Show all contacts" and find it.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Upvote 0
If you want to select different ringtones on Samsung Galaxy for each contact (like other phones) you should copy your contacts on the phone at first. then you should go to the contacts>more>display options>Phone (under choose contacts to display tab) and check all then to the Sim and unckeck all contacts. Now if you select any contact and go to edit, you may select any ringtone on the phone or else.

Upvote 0

/media/audio/ringtones/
Reboot your phone

Android 1.5 cupcake
Goto contacts
Select contact required
Press menu/options button (left above answer call)
Select edit contact
Scroll to bottom of list
Second item from bottom is 'Ringtone' Press this and select your ringtone.

Android 2.1 eclair
Goto contacts
Select contact required
Select 'ringtone' option
Thanks so much; I just received my FIRST smartphone in January, and I am so amazed by what I can do. I have put down my nook, camera, GPS, and MP3 player. My phone is my lifeline! LOL

Upvote 0
Hi,
I just got my Galaxy S 4G and found that you need to go to groups within contacts to change ringtones for specific contacts. go to contacts then to groups tab then you will see the groups, Family Friends, and Work, select the group you put your contact in, say family, then tap the contact you want to set, then hit the menu key at the bottom, tap edit, then scroll to ringtones. I had the hardest time trying to change this and finally was able to. Hope this can help someone.

hdeg2007:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones