• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a way to use the internet from the Hero for my laptop?

Upvote 0
Telus is GSM ,but a Google search could've told you that .

I did you turd.

It said
The company is based in Burnaby, British Columbia. Telus utilizes CDMA 2000, IDEN, and HSPA+-based mobility phone networks.
Bell Mobility has just announced that their new GSM/HSPA network, shared with previously-CDMA frenemy Telus, has gone live!
so its both cdma and using gsm technology for its mobile broadband (hspa) / voice on...certain handsets

Upvote 0
Ok good point ^ Use search function and post :p

But I am struggling to think of the reason behind paying / using a 3rd party app when the phone has 1 tick box which will make the net work on the laptop...

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

It takes like 2 mins...if that...

but where is this 1 tick option? That guide says you need htc sync installed too. I cant stand that piece of software and much prefer pdanet, expecially as it makes the process much more straight forward when i come to upgrade phones!

Upvote 0
but where is this 1 tick option? That guide says you need htc sync installed too. I cant stand that piece of software and much prefer pdanet, expecially as it makes the process much more straight forward when i come to upgrade phones!

Menu>Settings>Wireless Controls>right at the bottom

You need to install htc sync so that the tethering drivers are installed

pdanet is great but it won't let you connect to https sites once the trial expires. Why use additional apps when you don't need to

(Note: I think the Sprint Hero has this option completely removed to prevent tethering)

Upvote 0
but where is this 1 tick option? That guide says you need htc sync installed too.

Strictly speaking you only need the device drivers installed rather than the whole shebang, but to do that you still need to d/l the HTC Sync installer and run it to the set-up screen in order to get at those driver files....

Anyway, whaddya mean "When I come to upgrade phones"??? Your soul belongs to HTC now.... mwahahahaha! :D

Upvote 0
Okay... I don't get this.

I've done everything correctly, but it's not working for me.

For some reason, the phone won't accept my first ticking of the 'mobile network sharing' box, but will accept it second time round. The 'mobile network' box is greyed out and permanently says 'turning on...'.

There's a new connection in the connections box, using the HTC NDIS driver and I can see from running ipconfig that the connection has an IP and a gateway.

If I try to browse a webpage or do any online activity, nothing works - it just times out.

What's going wrong?

---Edit---

Okay, I got it working for all of five seconds and then it stopped working again. I'll just put it down to the Hero being a crap phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones