• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a web app that allows me to type and send text messages through my phone?

OM2

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
An idea popped into my head today: send text messages through my phone using a PC

Yee ha!

OK... so not revolutionary - but I don't know of any Android apps that do this?
Where you type messages and send to your addresses?

I thought it would be great if there were web based or browser based apps that did this?

Thanks!

OM

i got all excited about google voice after i read up about it
it's only usa though :(

still haven't found a convenient app or other program that let you send text messages

with sony ericsson phones for example, u get a pc suite that you can use to do a few things - one of them being to send text messages
i would imagine u have similar programs for other manufacturers

oh well :(

Upvote 0
i got all excited about google voice after i read up about it
it's only usa though :(

still haven't found a convenient app or other program that let you send text messages

with sony ericsson phones for example, u get a pc suite that you can use to do a few things - one of them being to send text messages
i would imagine u have similar programs for other manufacturers

oh well :(

I think you missed my previous post. Use Remote Web Desktop. You need your phone and your laptop to be on the same wifi network, then run the app on your phone. On your computer, open on your web browser the address the app tells you to.

Once open, it will look like a computer desktop with a number of icons. Just click on Messages and you will see all your messages. You can send and reply using it as well.

Upvote 0
I think you missed my previous post. Use Remote Web Desktop. You need your phone and your laptop to be on the same wifi network, then run the app on your phone. On your computer, open on your web browser the address the app tells you to.

Once open, it will look like a computer desktop with a number of icons. Just click on Messages and you will see all your messages. You can send and reply using it as well.

yes, i think i did miss your post
sounds awesome
but how secure is it? how do u know the guys behind the app aren't stealing or doing naughty things on ur phone?

Upvote 0
Because they allow me to put a password? And it can be used even if the router is disconnected to the internet and only working on LAN. And my phone isn't rooted so they cant do really nasty things, and even if they copy everything off my phone, they wont get anything out of me as I am in general a pretty uninteresting person anyway. :)

Upvote 0
An alternative to Remote Web Desktop is Air Droid. I haven't used it before, but I ran into it by accident about two nights and it seemed promising.

You can see a video of it in action here: AirDroid features walk through - YouTube

and you can download it for free from the Android Market here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

Finally, if I remember correctly, both PDA Net and Motorola Phone Tools allow you to send sms from the desktop. I'd say Air Droid is your best bet though, as it doesn't require any specific device type, and doesn't require that you download tethering software just to get remote SMS sending functionality. It also looks nicer than Remote Web Desktop.

Hope this helps.

P.S.
As a warning, in order for these applications that allow you to remotely manage your phone to actually manage your phone they require very high permissions. Do your research before installing, because they have access to a lot of data/functions.

Upvote 0
aha!! got it!
searching for 'browser texting' gives quite a few results

someone mentioned mighty text above - i didn't realise this is exaclty what i want :)

browsertexting - one of the comments says the pro version costs $9.99 a year?

mightytext - is there a cost? i couldn't see this mentioned anywhere

to be honest, i can understand why the developers need to charge - the traffic + server processing would be demanding if you've got 100,000 users

ive decided to go for mighty text - it's got 4.5 rating from many more users

Upvote 0
My PhoneExplorer allows you to compose and view SMS messages on your PC and send them via your Android. It is free.

thanks
i'll look that up late
one extra requirement i now have (after seeing the other apps) is to have it be part of a browser - i'd rather have that, that have it be a standalone program that u have to install on ur pc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones