• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a wife shopping finder app?

Gareee

Android Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2010
WNC
We each have Droid X's now. We'll go to a mall, or large superstore, and my wife will jst wander away, attracted by bright colors, or shiny objects.

I tried the latitude app that came with the DX, but its accuracy isn't so hot.

Is there an app that wll show you how far another phone is, and what direction?

(Latitude said that I was 1/2 mile away, when in fact I was standing right next to her.)

The spoken directions for her to get to me were a hoot though!

My wife and I are also searching for such a solution. We work with youth and are constantly on the go with meetings and activities (including shopping). It's very annoying to be with a therapist or in the middle of a practice and have our phones buzzing or ringing with a call or message, "Where you at?"

We thought with Latitude we'd be able to passivley track one another. I just can't figure out how to get it to accurately update (it once showed me in a town 25 miles from where I was, and still showed me there even after I traveled from where I really was back home).

In the same building, though, would be tough because GPS doesn't work indoors. We'd be happy to just get "last known" updates.

Upvote 0
haha, and I thought you wanted an app to detect when your wife was shopping.

That's the app I need :)

If I could write that app I'd make a bundle. I guess basically all you'd need is an app to generate an SMS when your wife went anywhere near a store. She'd have to have GPS turned on and there'd be lots of false alarms I'm sure. Possible privacy issues too. Well, we can dream.

Gps seems to work fine in the house here.. is it ust large buildings or multi level buildings it does not work in?

The GPS signal comes from satellites so you generally have to have a view of the sky to get a signal as it can't penetrate very far into buildings. Most commercial buildings are build of steel and concrete which block GPS signals pretty well.

Upvote 0
I saw this and it might be the ticket (or not..lol)

Cellflare is a Location Based web service that allows users to stay visually connected to each other via their Mobile Devices. Users can view the real time status of their family and friends from any Internet Browser or from the downloadable Cellflare App.

Cellflare Location Based Service

Look on download page..there is a QR code for the app.

Upvote 0
If I could write that app I'd make a bundle. I guess basically all you'd need is an app to generate an SMS when your wife went anywhere near a store. She'd have to have GPS turned on and there'd be lots of false alarms I'm sure. Possible privacy issues too. Well, we can dream.

The GPS signal comes from satellites so you generally have to have a view of the sky to get a signal as it can't penetrate very far into buildings. Most commercial buildings are build of steel and concrete which block GPS signals pretty well.

If someone can write this app and give it the ability to activate a shock collar, they would make serious coin. Men would rejoice, economies would crash.

Upvote 0
cellflare looks pretty good, but I don't think the accuracy is going to be great until SkyHook is implemented in apps and malls start placing several wifi points throughout the malls to help with location. I once read that malls want to be able to install things like a skyhook system so that you can download mall specific apps to track your family and be able to navigate easily to stores in the mall.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones