• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there an Android based equalivant of the IPad?

darkcyber

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
North Alabama
My daughter lost her 8 gb Ipod Touch a while back and we were looking at replacing it this Christmas with either an Ipod Touch 32 gb or an Ipad 16 gb and after looking at these today I was wondering if there are any good Android based devices that equal either of the Apple devices? I would prefer to have an Android based unit, if they are available. Looking for something with WiFi only, not interested in getting into another monthly contract for data.

Something that she could surf the web on, download apps and games from the Market and play on it...etc.

Do they not have options to just do a month to month data on any device?

I really do not think so it is either pay as you go or a set plan. Plan is always cheaper due to the discounted rate but you can use it WiFi only by turning off the mobile network. This way no data pull over 3g or 4G depending on the carrier.

Upvote 0
I saw a review on the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but it is a good bit smaller than an actually Ipad and I didn't think it was actually available yet. Does it come in just a WiFi version like the Ipad does?

I would think getting an Android phone and not activating it would be asking for problems. Would there be any way it could access the 3G network? I would not want to get some expensive bill from a cell carrier :eek:

Upvote 0
I saw a review on the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but it is a good bit smaller than an actually Ipad and I didn't think it was actually available yet. Does it come in just a WiFi version like the Ipad does?

I would think getting an Android phone and not activating it would be asking for problems. Would there be any way it could access the 3G network? I would not want to get some expensive bill from a cell carrier :eek:

If the phone isn't connected to a carrier than there's no way for it to connect to the carriers data network. On the other hand, you could enable WiFi on the phone and connect it to a wireless network.

Upvote 0
there is a wifi only version of the galaxy tab i suggext it its an awesome device it takes what i have and makes it twice the machine im gonna get a tmo version here soon

Yeah, but is the Galaxy Tab actually available for purchase anywhere? I'm not seeing it anywhere. And will it have access to the Android Market Place? I have read that some of the other Android tablet knock offs had their on market place and limited apps.

Upvote 0
If you want it for this Christmas I think your best bet is the Archos. I would do the 7in or the 10 inch over the 4.3, simply because if it is not a phone then there is no reason to go with the smaller 4.3 inch screen.

If it did not have to be for xmas I would recommend waiting a few extra weeks for the notion Ink Adam to be released. This will be much better than the Archos. But I think the chances of it being in your hands for xmas is small.

Upvote 0
Don't discount the pocketability factor. If you want that always accessible, in your pocket pmp that's also android, the 43 can be a good choice. All depends on what your needs are.
If you want it for this Christmas I think your best bet is the Archos. I would do the 7in or the 10 inch over the 4.3, simply because if it is not a phone then there is no reason to go with the smaller 4.3 inch screen.

Upvote 0
Don't discount the pocketability factor. If you want that always accessible, in your pocket pmp that's also android, the 43 can be a good choice. All depends on what your needs are.

You're right - that is a great reason. Its not a factor for me but is certainly a huge consideration. I'm just biased towards larger screens. I feel everything I want out of a tablet will have an improved experience on a larger screen.

Upvote 0
I've tried both the Galaxy Tab(at VZW store) and the Archos 101(a buddy got one) and after trying them I went out and got an ipad. I dislike apple as much as the next guy, but anyone who has used one cannot deny that it is an amazing product and no Android tablet can compare with it, at least until 3.0 comes out. I had been waiting for the A101 since it was announced and was very disappointed with it, and happy that I canceled my pre-order. I'm waiting until Android designs a UI that is meant for tablets and until then I'm very content using my ipad.

Upvote 0
I've tried both the Galaxy Tab(at VZW store) and the Archos 101(a buddy got one) and after trying them I went out and got an ipad.

I did the same thing. I bought a Huawei S7 and returned it and kept going back to VZW and Tmobile to try the Galaxy Tab and the Apple store and the iPad. In the end the iPad was just a much more enjoyable experience. Thought I would miss flash support, but after having the iPad for a week now I don't think that is going to be the case. This is my first Apple product other than my old iPod.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones