• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there an app for this

vbnyc

Jul 28, 2010
I am annoyed with the fact that the phone sleeps when on a call. I primarily use it with bluetooth while driving and to end a call i need to unsleep the phone and then I can do so.

Is there an app or setting that will disable the sleep "feature". To me this is one of the most annoying things about this phone.

@vbnyc can you end the call with the "action button" on your bluetooth?

@JayC with a bluetooth connection it wouldn't be proximate to anything, so I don't think the screen shut off would be in play here. but you are correct that in a normal phone call only the screen should go to sleep. Perhaps the phone is locking here because there is no screen shut off due to the proximity sensors and so the normal phone screen operation is timing out and so locking?

Upvote 0
@vbnyc can you end the call with the "action button" on your bluetooth?

@JayC with a bluetooth connection it wouldn't be proximate to anything, so I don't think the screen shut off would be in play here. but you are correct that in a normal phone call only the screen should go to sleep. Perhaps the phone is locking here because there is no screen shut off due to the proximity sensors and so the normal phone screen operation is timing out and so locking?

gotcha...well in that case go to settings/sound & display/screen timeout. u should be able to change the settings from there.

Upvote 0
gotcha...well in that case go to settings/sound & display/screen timeout. u should be able to change the settings from there.

As long as your calls aren't over 30 minutes, you could set the screen to time out then. Really, what you're probably looking for is to control the phone via the headset, which isn't available in Android 2.1, but will come with 2.2 (Froyo), which you may be aware of, and is why you asked for an app.

There's an app called Tasker out there that I've been hearing excellent things about. Downside is it costs $5 or $6 (if you have enabled sideloading you can get a few days trial by going to the dev's site and if it works, buy from him through the app and save a buck, otherwise you can get it from the market but without the trial and without the discount) but from all I've read, this app does so much, it's worth a cup of coffee or two. I found a post about someone who was able to disable their lock screen with the app, but I'm not sure if the Captivate will act differently. http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-incredible/136480-tasker-beast-good-way.html#post1260161
That thread has a lot of good info in it, even someone saying thru got it to flip bluetooth on when a call came in and then off when it ended to save on battery life. There's links to the dev's site, but I can't recommend based on experience yet. I'm waiting for some time to free up so that I can put it through the paces during the trial before I decide if it works for me.

Upvote 0
The phone sleeps as soon as a call starts regardless of the timeout set. If i need to dial an extension during a call, it becomes very complicated. I need to wake the phone, activate the keypad, and dial. There should be a way to override the proximity sensor when on bluetooth or speaker.

Upvote 0
The phone sleeps as soon as a call starts regardless of the timeout set. If i need to dial an extension during a call, it becomes very complicated. I need to wake the phone, activate the keypad, and dial. There should be a way to override the proximity sensor when on bluetooth or speaker.

Hmmm, this actually sounds like a bug to me, mine doesn't do this at all. I mean you have to activate the keypad so you can dial an extension or whatever, but that's just how Android is designed, they are all like that. the G1 would go to sleep, but it didn't have a proximity sensor, and I think with Cupcake and Donut they made the screen sleep based on accelerometer change during a call or something (I forget now). Maybe something isn't working correctly in your sensor or the coding that reads the sensor state and blocks the device from sleeping...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones