• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there an app that can challenge BBM??

andonakis

Oct 5, 2010
If there is can someone please tell me? I have tried them all and currently have pingchat and to tell you the truth nothing comes close to Blackberry's Messenger. None of them cant even send a simple video.(not even Gtalk, heck you can't even send a picture) Since android has such a loyal following its amazing why no one came up with such an app to challenge BBM.:rolleyes:

Yes i understand that. But you can't send it through Gtalk.

actually you said

If there is can someone please tell me? I have tried them all and currently have pingchat and to tell you the truth nothing comes close to Blackberry's Messenger. None of them cant even send a simple video.(not even Gtalk, heck you can't even send a picture) Since android has such a loyal following its amazing why no one came up with such an app to challenge BBM.:rolleyes:

so i was just point out that you can do it

Upvote 0
Let me clarify. I like to use something similar to BBM. I don't mean regular texting. I meant something similar to yahoo mesenging, windows live, AIM etc. Even apps like pingchat don't work as good as BBM. I can send simple video over BBM, something you cannot do with any android messaging app. If there is I'm missing something then.
I used Gtalk on my blackberry and still was able to send video, not the case with android.

Upvote 0
I don't get the big fuss over BBM. It's nothing more than proprietary threaded texting app - specifically for one phone manufacturer. That's all. It does nothing that a vanilla droid messaging app doesn't do. Oh wait, it will PING! a user. Whoo hoo. Standard msgs notification works just as well without the catchy name...

You can send video in a number of ways with Android. Regular old txt/mms works great, and it also threads and keeps it organized (just like BBM). Upload to FB. Email. I don't understand why a dedicated app, that was a predeccesor to threaded txt messaging, is such a deal-breaker for people. I had BB's for YEARS. I liked BBM when I had it, but never to point where I thought "I could never have another phone without BBM on it!" Honestly, when I got my first Droid I thought "this is just like BBM, only better because I can send anything to anybody - not just other BB users"

To me, threaded txt beats BBM hands down. BBM reeks of iPhone's walled garden - which is the philosophical antithesis of the entire android platform.

Upvote 0

You might want to look at "Whatsapp" can be downloaded via market works on all platforms iPhone, Android, Blackberry.

Reactions: andonakis
Upvote 0
I don't get the big fuss over BBM. It's nothing more than proprietary threaded texting app - specifically for one phone manufacturer. That's all. It does nothing that a vanilla droid messaging app doesn't do. Oh wait, it will PING! a user. Whoo hoo. Standard msgs notification works just as well without the catchy name...

You can send video in a number of ways with Android. Regular old txt/mms works great, and it also threads and keeps it organized (just like BBM). Upload to FB. Email. I don't understand why a dedicated app, that was a predeccesor to threaded txt messaging, is such a deal-breaker for people. I had BB's for YEARS. I liked BBM when I had it, but never to point where I thought "I could never have another phone without BBM on it!" Honestly, when I got my first Droid I thought "this is just like BBM, only better because I can send anything to anybody - not just other BB users"

To me, threaded txt beats BBM hands down. BBM reeks of iPhone's walled garden - which is the philosophical antithesis of the entire android platform.

Well the big fuss is until i installed "whatsapp" there wasn't anything that can send simple video no matter what size it was without saying that the file was too big. BBM send video no matter how big the size was or at least a decent amount. My wife and I exchange alot of video when we had our new born child and we would send video all the time to each other with our blackberry. When we purchased the facsinate couldn't figure it out for the longest time as there are many apps that claim to be like BBM but fell short. So we are glad we have "whatsapp" as it filled that void. Plus I know you can send video over text but the quality is degraded and looks horrible.

Upvote 0
With BBM you can message other users without having service; the only "real" advantage it has over any other messaging app/services

Unless you have "whatsup" on your android phone you cannot send Hd video, and unless you reduce the quality and the time is less than 15 seconds. Whatsup sends excellent video without reducing time or quality, that's what I'm trying to say. Oh and your phone is your ping, anyone in your contacts you has whatsup will automatically be in your whatsup contact.
Anyways unless I'm missing something on other messaging apps, I just couldn't find one that came close to BBM. I'm glad someone told me about whatsup. Its exactly what I was looking for.;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones