• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there an easy backup and restore?

Thanks GMB, my D1 was so easy to restore when I bricked it (which I did a lot of with overclocking experiments). I'll get to know SBF before I start to experiment too much with the DX. Right now I'm pretty happy with it, so I'll wait a bit. All I really want to be able to do is to back up the phone. I started from scratch with a system restore, loaded all my apps, rooted, set everything up the way I like it and backed it up. I'm a freak about wanting to go back to a clean slate when my phone shows the first sign of acting up. This is my main reason for rooting. Saves me a day of work every time I want to go back to clean.

Thanks for all your help

Upvote 0
if that was in his directions yes i did that, when i clicked it, it said unmount so i figured i mounted then i installed from the zip

I revised my post above. Sounds like you did everything right and it simply doesn't work with stock. Maybe ask the creator.

Thanks GMB, my D1 was so easy to restore when I bricked it (which I did a lot of with overclocking experiments). I'll get to know SBF before I start to experiment too much with the DX. Right now I'm pretty happy with it, so I'll wait a bit. All I really want to be able to do is to back up the phone. I started from scratch with a system restore, loaded all my apps, rooted, set everything up the way I like it and backed it up. I'm a freak about wanting to go back to a clean slate when my phone shows the first sign of acting up. This is my main reason for rooting. Saves me a day of work every time I want to go back to clean.

Thanks for all your help

I am sooooo sorry about hijacking your thread. My apologies. I understand exactly what you are saying because I was the exact same way when I first got my DX or any device for that matter. I like to ease into it and get a feel for how everything is stock and I wipe and start fresh at the first sign of problems or when changing anything major.

GMB

Upvote 0
Very good thread and good answers in here. I had one question and I hope you don't take it as a hijack but it goes right along with your backup question.... Do you actually need Rom manager? Can't you do a backup in the recovery menu with Bootstrap? Or do you need to actually do it in Rom Manager? I did one in the recovery menu with Bootstrap but Didn't know if that was the same as doing it in Rom manager?

Thank you again and sorry for hijacking lol

Upvote 0
Very good thread and good answers in here. I had one question and I hope you don't take it as a hijack but it goes right along with your backup question.... Do you actually need Rom manager? Can't you do a backup in the recovery menu with Bootstrap? Or do you need to actually do it in Rom Manager? I did one in the recovery menu with Bootstrap but Didn't know if that was the same as doing it in Rom manager?

Thank you again and sorry for hijacking lol

You don't need ROM Manager at all. You can do it all in recovery itself with bootstrap. ROM Manager just puts a pretty face on it all that you can use while the device is booted and is a great tool for downloading ROMs , themes and other hacks.

GMB

Reactions: Fate0n3
Upvote 0
You don't need ROM Manager at all. You can do it all in recovery itself with bootstrap. ROM Manager just puts a pretty face on it all that you can use while the device is booted.

GMB

THANK YOU for info. I wasn't sure I had trouble with Rom manager wanting to boot into recovery so I just used Bootstrap and it goes smooth lol... Rom manager does see the back up tho.

Thank you again and sorry again for the hijack

Upvote 0
THANK YOU for info. I wasn't sure I had trouble with Rom manager wanting to boot into recovery so I just used Bootstrap and it goes smooth lol... Rom manager does see the back up tho.

Thank you again and sorry again for the hijack

ROM Manager is spectacular on devices like the Incredible that don't have a locked bootloader and therefor don't need a boostrap. On the Incredible you use ROM Manager to flash clockwork recovery and boot into it and everything. You get used to using it for everything and then you get a device like the DX where it can't all be done in that one app and it gets confusing I know.

GMB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones