1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is there an extended battery out for the Nexus?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darkcyber, Dec 29, 2011.

1. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

Seen some info around about a VZW extended battery, but I am not seeing one anywhere on the VZW web site. Does anyone have an extended battery for you Nexus? If so, where did you get it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

Have you checked your local vz store? They're not showing up online at vz site atm

darkcyber likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

They were 1/5 off ($25) a while back on VZW.com, I ordered one then even though I don't have my phone yet.

darkcyber likes this.
  4. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

ftfy (musta been tha whiskey... :))

5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Haha, thanks. It's getting a little late.

6. VinniePaz

VinniePaz Newbie

Yup, same here. Got mine when they had them for $25 and still waiting on Letstalk to send me my phone. (Estimated Availability 12/30/2011) Not really expecting them to honor that though....

7. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

Just called the local VZW store they have them in stock and still $25.00.

8. kylecummins

kylecummins Android Expert

Do the verizon extended work with gsm?

9. chamjin

chamjin Newbie

I read 'No'

10. Eleer

Eleer Member

Yes, I have an extended battery in my Nexus right now.

11. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

had it and returned it. do yourself a favor and get the extra battery with the portable charger. the extended one makes no difference in battery life (maybe 10mins?). that's prob why they're still half off.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Does the VZW extended battery work in the external charger?

I really don't like that charger, and would rather have one like Seidio's that plugs directly into the wall outlet, but they're not offering that yet so it's not really an option.

13. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast

Yes, the extended battery works in the external charger, but the lid wont close. Not a big deal to me. And I love the extended battery. I like how the new door smooths out the back of the phonr. The GNex should have shipped with this battery.

14. jpprice.ga

jpprice.ga Newbie

Just got one last week from a VZ store for $25.

15. mntbighker

mntbighker Well-Known Member

When I go to MyVerizon the only accessory listed for my GN is the standard battery. Hold times at 611 are LONG.

16. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast

Any word on an extended battery with the standard form factor in the works?

17. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

probably. i'm thinking that's why they're giving the current one away for $25. it only adds like 10 mins lol

18. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast

It adds more than 10 minutes for me. Sounds like you got a bad battery.

19. sixlaps

sixlaps Newbie

The extended battery is well worth the $25. I probably wouldn't have paid $50 though. When I got my phone verizon said the half off would last until the 31st.

20. tzoller

tzoller Newbie

Sent for extended battery friday and got it wed of this week for $25. Free fedex. Couldn't find it on website so gave verizon a call and placed order. Less hassle than going to the store during the holiday craziness.

Happy new year

21. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert

The extended battery is good for an extra 1-3hrs depending on usage . It's not a huge difference but for $25 it was a good deal to me . I was testing battery life on my phone un until a couple days ago now I just don't worry about it and I'm much happier lol

22. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast

I was debating getting the extended battery, but was dreading the added bulk... so I did some testing instead. I downloaded JuiceDefender Ultimate and gave it a shot to improve my battery life. Frankly I was always skeptical of this app.... but I set that aside and let the graphs do the talking.

Before installing, I'd have a hard time making it a day even with the phone idle in my pocket. After, my best time so far was 21 hours on battery. It would have been higher but I decided to play some games which rapidly drained the battery. If only used for calls, I'm certain I could make it last over 24 hours.

That all said though, the phone eats a lot of juice doing practically anything. So using the phone for anything other than taking calls, will negate any battery saving app you have installed and drain you pretty quick. I was surprised how much a difference the basic profiles made in JuiceDefender, but it only really helps if the phone is idle with the screen off.

I'll just wait for a slim extended battery to come out.... if one comes out.

23. rpretzel

rpretzel Well-Known Member

I use my extended battery exclusively, and can barely notice any difference in bulk. I'm using the back cover that came with the battery, but I tested it with the stock back cover, and it fits. There's barely any size difference.

24. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert

^^This...

This isn't like the extended battery for the TBolt (that thing made the phone look preganent!!!). The only change to the profile of the phone really is that there isn't the indent at the bottom. It adds a bit of weight, however I would classify that as a plus.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

The VZW extended battery is a "slim extended battery."

If you're talking about a battery that doesn't require a new back cover, the only time that happens is if the phone designers have left some space back there for a bigger battery (this cover is pretty tight), or if the OEM battery is grossly exaggerated (which doesn't happen very often).

For instance, when Seidio released a "slim extended battery" for the original Incredible which fit under the stock cover, testing determined that it was actually just about the same capacity as the stock battery.

Until there is a change in battery technology, you won't get any kind of significant improvement in a battery for a given size.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews