• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there any fake gps that will work and trick other apps?

jccblu

Lurker
Mar 11, 2019
Hello, how are you?
I'm trying to find some FAKE GPS app for android.
The problem is that the ones I've tried do not work, because the application I need to use for and uses the GPS of the phone identifies that it is a FAKE GPS that is running.
Is there any way to install some application that can "fool" this application that uses the GPS of the phone, so that it can not identify FAKE GPS, and that understands that it is the real GPS of the phone?

hm, and do you know another solution?

Probably not. If you require an app for tracking the phone (work-related I assume) I would assume that the app checks that the real GPS radio's are enabled, and even if they aren't it would use cell tower triangulation to locate the phone.

Upvote 0
Probably not. If you require an app for tracking the phone (work-related I assume) I would assume that the app checks that the real GPS radio's are enabled, and even if they aren't it would use cell tower triangulation to locate the phone.
I need to do a checkpoint 4 times a day, and the app uses the GPS of the phone... So, I don't understand so much about these apps, but I think in a solution like: A Fake GPS app that works in the place of the GPS of the phone... So, the app "think" that the FAKE GPS is the real location.. something like this.

Upvote 0
You're trying to play Pokemon Go in a region or country where it isn't available otherwise?

I don't think it's possible to truly spoof a GPS location, not with just an app on an unrooted, unmodified phone.
I need this for another reason, not Pokemon Go.
But I think that works like Pokemon Go, the same problem.
The app recognise that I'm using a fake GPS app.
So, If I want to root my phone, could I make this happen?

Upvote 0
Oh no, I thought it will be easier.
OK, I'm not an app developer or a ROM developer, but, here's my understanding. An app that requires GPS for coordinates will make a request to whatever API lists sensors on the device to A) see if they exist and B) see if they are turned on. This request goes to the operating system through established APIs. No way to install an app to that will circumvent that.

Next, when the app actually needs the location data, it will call a standard API (maybe the same one) and request the information from the established sensors. An installed application can't circumvent this, or more specifically, set itself up as a man in the middle intercepting the system request and returning falsified data (I suppose a custom rom could do it, but it would seem like a lot of work). Even if it could, what info is the app requesting from the API? Most likely Lat / Lon / Alt, but what if it wants the actual data transmitted by the GPS satellites (I believe this is basically a satellite ID and timestamp) so it can calculate it's own location information. To spoof it you would need to successfully set up man in the middle, understand what data is being requested, and properly "spoof" it well enough that it would produce a reasonable spoofed location. That may be simple enough to make PokeMon-Go believe you are in North America, not Europe. But I imagine it would be difficult to spoof that you were at 10th and Main at 8:32 AM on the 11th of March.

What I'm getting at is any programmer worth their salt will use standard APIs because it abstracts out direct interaction with the GPS system and allows standard, predictable code to be written and the expected results to be returned. It just isn't plausible you would be able to spoof it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones