1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Root Is there any way to block Verizon from knowing that you are tethering?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Itlooksfast, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Itlooksfast

Itlooksfast Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Im running BAMF Forver Cube 1.09. I know and read that Verizon can tell if you are tethering or not. However, lately both of my wireless tether and USB tethering has been disconnecting like crazy. I can use PdaNet or EasyTether...it will connect but once I start using to much data like 200mb or more it just shuts off and disconnect itself. If I use wireless it does the same thing. I can still surf the web on my phone and stuff so the connections are there. So is this Verizon big corporate doing or is it my phone? Can they block my tethering?

Advertisement

2. Papadroid

Papadroid Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    There is no way for them to block just the tethering. If they were to block you, they could only block data to the phone overall. In order for them to do as your wondering is for them to be able to access your phone and block the tethering app. They do not have that kind of access to your phone like that.

3. Itlooksfast

Itlooksfast Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Ok thats what I mean. Sorry I didnt make it clear. It will connect fine and stuff but once I started downloading any files, it would just stop and disconnect the tethering. I can still download it through my phone so if they stop my data, how is it possible for me to download files on my phone?

4. Papadroid

Papadroid Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    The problem is more than likely on your phone. I would back up your phone and wipe data and cache then try the tethering app again. If that doesn't work maybe try another ROM. It could be something as simple as a setting somewhere that has changed. But I'm no expert on this, I hardly ever use the tethering feature.

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    As indicated in the below link

http://androidforums.com/verizon/455585-verizons-official-tethering-policy.html

Tethering outside of the Verizon provided tethering app is currently a prohibited activity. While there are ways to circumvent this, tethering using the apps you suggest is considered illegal on the Verizon network and, as such, is not something we typically discuss here at Android Forums. Sorry!

I am going to close this thread. If you feel that it was closed in error, please feel free to PM me or one of the other mod's and we'll be happy to discuss further with you.

bjanow, Yeahha, Frisco and 1 other person like this.