1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is there any way to root from a Mac that isn't running windows?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Joyfulmama, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Joyfulmama

Joyfulmama Lurker

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked. I want to root my prevail, but I don't see anyway around running odin on windows. I don't have access to a PC and I don't have windows installed on my mac. Any help/advice? I hate to go buy a new phone simply because I'm out of space on my current one since rooting would take care of that.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Kcsuper

Kcsuper Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor...burn the mac and buy a pc :p

3. inigomontoyasr

inigomontoyasr Android Enthusiast

ouch.

to the original question...unfortunately there isn't a way to root an updated device without windows and Odin.

Joyfulmama likes this.
  4. Joyfulmama

Joyfulmama Lurker

Sigh, since I'm trying to avoid having to blow $270 for the Marquee, it goes without saying that I'm also not quite in the market for a new computer :p

5. Joyfulmama

Joyfulmama Lurker

Thanks! That's what I figured.

6. Dest1ny

Dest1ny Member

actually depending on the mac that you have you can probably load windows into it and dual-boot to windows. You can use BootCamp to do it with, but i believe you need MAC OS X 8.0 or higher. I forget the version but if your mac is fairly new you should be able to.

all you would need is a copy of Windows.

also I don't know if even then it might work, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

7. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Extreme Android User

I agree, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to dual-boot it. Never done it but it makes sense to me.

8. Xruptor

Xruptor Android Enthusiast

Honestly, why just don't use bootcamp and have windows installed as well? Most if not ALL the mac users I know have windows installed on their mac as well. I know it's pretty sad that people still have to have two operating systems installed on a Mac to get things done. I wish everyone would just switch to Linux :p

In anycase, to answer your question Bootcamp or dual-booting to windows would be the only way. :( Not sure why you wouldn't have windows installed anyways it's very convenient.

9. oopsibrokeit

oopsibrokeit Member

Showing my age but, RED HAT WHY DID I FORSAKE THEE!?!?

10. BadWolf47

BadWolf47 Newbie

I was running Linux and got a Mac specifically so I wouldn't need Windows anymore. All the "commercial apps" that I needed Windows for when I ran Linux have Mac versions.

Samsung Galaxy Prevail Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Prevail release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 2MP camera, GB RAM, MSM7627-3 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews