• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there anything this phone can't do?

Tried rockfish player, and it will NOT play mkv files.. now I'm hunting on how to play videos stored on the sd card.. I can find everything in the manual for finding and playing video off the web, or using the camcorder, but nothing at all about how to play videos you already have saved.

Mkv files are problematic, even on the GREAT video slayer known as the N900. Heck, even the Archos 5 has issues with that and some WMV files.

Why are you watching hentai, anyways ;) Actually, the art in some of it is amazing. Bible Black may be very disturbing, but the artwork is amazing.

Upvote 0
yo son i know thats coming soon but the thread asked what the phone cant do and as of right this sec when i post this it doesn't have froyo and i think its pretty funny that anyone can objectively say that android store is even equal (and you said even better than? haha) to the itunes store. i'm pretty sure people been saying that the android store is catching up, especially since openfeint is coming to the android store, but again as of right now hell naw dawg

also can you link that usb tether app here that sounds great

Ditto. Right now, the Android Koolaid drinkers are big on "what's coming" and "down the road". If I could do without a phone until then, that would be great. I've already commented how much the Android Apps suck and how poorly integrated so many are. Yes, the open Android architecture allows for a lot of creativity but it also creates a potential nightmare when you have HTC with their sense UI, Moto with their blur UI, etc. that can cause problems with each app. So it ends up that as a new phone is introduced, you likely need to wait on purchasing apps until the developers have tweaked them to work with the new UI and the nuances of that specific phone built in by the Manufacturer.

What seems to be missing is some structure and guidelines to the Android OS that the manufacturers need to follow in order to allow the developers the ability to make one app that works for all. The more work the developers have to do and fires they have to put out when a new phone is introduced, the more the apps will have to cost and the less motivation developers have to work in the platform.

Upvote 0
also can you link that usb tether app here that sounds great
Sorry. It's a third party app that doesn't work with Iphone.

And Like I said I had the Ipod touch. I used the Itunes App store. There were tons of duplicate or garbage apps. It was not fun trying to mine for gold in a cave full of sewage. Also like I said in the OP the Itunes App store used from the device was a headache. On the AMP I downloaded like 60 apps in a half hour. When I used the the Itunes app store I would get fed up with having to scroll all the way back down to where I left off after I installed an app. Also I hated having to login every single time I would start a new Itunes app store session even when I was getting free apps. I never have to login to the AMP.

I'm just telling you from first hand experience. The Android Market place blows the Itunes App store out of the water in my opinion.

Upvote 0

And Like I said I had the Ipod touch. I used the Itunes App store. There were tons of duplicate or garbage apps. It was not fun trying to mine for gold in a cave full of sewage. Also like I said in the OP the Itunes App store used from the device was a headache. On the AMP I downloaded like 60 apps in a half hour. When I used the the Itunes app store I would get fed up with having to scroll all the way back down to where I left off after I installed an app. Also I hated having to login every single time I would start a new Itunes app store session even when I was getting free apps. I never have to login to the AMP.

I'm just telling you from first hand experience. The Android Market place blows the Itunes App store out of the water in my opinion.

I agree with you. With too much control you become Apple, with too little control you become Google. If you try to meet the middle ground AND FAIL, you become Microsoft (I am talking about Mobile apps). So hopefully, Google is smart enough to meet the middle AND Succeed.

Upvote 0
Tried rockfish player, and it will NOT play mkv files
Doesn't anyone read the OP before replying? I said I use Act 1 and Rockplayer to play AVI, mkv, and everything else. Just DL Act 1 brother. It works for almost anything.

also i'd like to add that i actually do have a droid x and it is easily the best phone i've ever owned. but im not so blinded by the new hotness that i cant see its flaws sorry if you are
No I admit this Phone/device isn't 100% perfect but so far(for me) it has lived up to the hype. And in my opinion it does everything I throw at it. And yeah if I want to play flash video I can just DL an app right now. As far as I'm concerned this phone and it's openess leaves everything up to the consumer. It's not as simple and plug n play as the Iphone but I wanted the freedom to use it however I wanted and customize it to be any kind of phone I want. Read through this thread. There is almost nothing this phone can't do. While my buddy is enjoying his Iphone 4 right from launch I am learning the limitless amount of things this phone can do. My phone's a mess right now because I keep rearranging everything and adding new themes. Enjoy your new DX!

Upvote 0
This is my first Android phone and you can see in my sig what I was using before my Droid X. Why would anyone want to hack/root this phone? It is the most customizable mobile device I have ever seen in my life. I DLed Act 1 video player and Rock player and every video I have thrown on here plays on my big bright clear screen from avi to a 2gb 720p m4v vid. I Dled App Launcher and bettercut and now I have fully customizable APP icons and OS altogether. I have a nifty barcode scanner for bargain shopping. I have a metal detector for checking for guns. I have my alarm clock. I have cool moving / interactive wallpapers. I have multitasking so when I stop my recorded radio show I can come back and resume it.

So far everything I have thought of doing with this mobile computer has been possible. There are APPs for everything you imagine this phone can do. I can tell you now I DID NOT have the same experience with my Ipod Touch and the Itunes app store. Btw... the Android market works way better than the Itunes app store from the phone or touch. In there you have to click to show 25 more apps and if you go into an app and DL it when you come back out you start all the way at the top. I hated app shopping on my device because of that.

Sorry for the rambling post just had to throw all this out there.

You must be lucky or have a very special phone. I can get most avi and mp4 files to play back with rockplayer just fine but almost every file I play with Act 1 has sound sync issues. The sound is slightly, but noticeably delayed. Same with the stock player and Double Twist.

Also, I would love to know how you got your 2gb 720p m4v to play without issue. I have a bunch of 720p movie rips with 2-channel audio and they all play very, very choppy even with the battery performance set to the highest setting. This is true for every player I've tested.

My friend loaded some of these movies onto his droid x and they played just as choppy, so it's definitely not my phone. Is it possible that some of my apps are slowing down video playback performance?

Upvote 0
Also, I would love to know how you got your 2gb 720p m4v to play without issue. I have a bunch of 720p movie rips with 2-channel audio and they all play very, very choppy even with the battery performance set to the highest setting. This is true for every player I've tested.

My friend loaded some of these movies onto his droid x and they played just as choppy, so it's definitely not my phone. Is it possible that some of my apps are slowing down video playback performance?
Do you use Advanced App killer before you play movies? Did you go into seting>battery manager>battery profile and set your phone to performance mode?

Now admittedly ACT 1 played my 2gb 720p .M4V video... but it wasn't perfectly smooth but not enough that I couldn't enjoy the movie in a doctors office. Granted there is no real need to play a 720p movie on your Droid X. I was just seeing what this device was capable of.
I know it's a simple feature, but I absolutely LOVE the ability to save login information on sites I frequently visit. I can't tell you how much it infuriated me everytime I had to enter said information when using my Storm.

I am definitely a converted Android user. Thank you Google.

I know right? I use Google and all the services it offers. If Google starts a religion I might just join the cult. Google is my most trusted internet service in 15 years of being on the internet.

Reactions: kishin14
Upvote 0
Do you use Advanced App killer before you play movies? Did you go into seting>battery manager>battery profile and set your phone to performance mode?

Now admittedly ACT 1 played my 2gb 720p .M4V video... but it wasn't perfectly smooth but not enough that I couldn't enjoy the movie in a doctors office. Granted there is no real need to play a 720p movie on your Droid X. I was just seeing what this device was capable of.

Yes, I noted this in my post. I'll try killing some apps before trying to play 720p file again. Thank for the info.

Upvote 0
Won't show you it's charging without hitting a button. Despite an LED present. Stunning feature 'design'.

Ok I'm confused... when I plug my phone in the green battery icon switches to a similar icon with a little 'lightning bolt' looking charging indicator. It's always done this, even before the update yesterday. So the led at the top doesn't illuminate when it's charging, but is that a bad thing?

I guess I'm just confused as to all the hubbub about this. What

Upvote 0
forgiven319 said:
1. It wont play HD movies on your TV through the HDMI cable. Only lets you play the videos you recorded with the phone. (That sucks bigtime)
I am absolutely sure that someone will develop an app for that whether it be in the app store or 3rd party.
forgiven319 said:
3. Wont let you take good photos indoors in lower lighting ( Outdoor pics are awesome))
I found with the multitude of camera options I got great pics in a big dark room with only a lamp and 40in tv on but it took a lot of trial/error. Granted it is annoying to sit there and tweak the settings but again I am sure someone smarter than us will come out with an app to make it fun and easy to switch profiles and quickly change options in the camera.
forgiven319 said:
2. Doesnt have front facing camera ( which i wouldnt use anyways if it did
I felt the same way. I could care less about a FF cam. I look bad enough in self portraits using a phone cam. Why would I want that ugly likeness in motion? I've seen the iphone 4s FF cam in action and it could make Angelina Jolie look ugly. Not nearly as clear as they show in the commercials.

Upvote 0
@Kaoss well i don't own a Droid x but glad to see some can just appreciate their phone, no phone is perfect but its so rare when your on a forum and someone just enjoy their device.

That was very nice of you to say. And yes I REALLY appreciate this phone. There are things I'm doing with it that I would have never imagined on my Ipod touch or an Iphone for that matter even if I did jail break them. Things I don't even want to say in public because I'm afraid the BIG V will put the kaibosh on them. This phone is amazing!

Upvote 0

well ok i guess if its your opinion, however much i disagree with it i must respect it. although i wonder what's the use of being able to download 60 apps in half an hour when most of the apps are, well, bad.

also in case you missed my second post after yours i said i do have a droid x. i was hoping you could link that tether app for ANDROID because it sounds sick and i'd totally use that. why would i be asking for iphone apps on android forums dot com :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
also in case you missed my second post after yours i said i do have a droid x. i was hoping you could link that tether app for ANDROID because it sounds sick and i'd totally use that. why would i be asking for iphone apps on android forums dot com :rolleyes:

prolly cause though you said that, Kaoss saw your devices and thought oh maybe it was just a typo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones