• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there anyway to force 3G to stay on?

irishpride

Android Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2010
Emerald City
Every morning I listen to RadioTime on my way to work and it is constantly losing it's connection and then buffering for a while to reconnect. I can't figure out the problem because when it shuts off, all it takes to get it up and running again is to hit pause and then play. Judging from that I don't think it's an issue with where I'm at not having a 3G connection. If anyone knows a fix for this it would be much appreciated.

I apologize if I didn't explain this very well, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Most of the time I do hit the lock screen button, but when I first got it and noticed the issue, I tried a bunch of different things, like letting it turn off on its own and it would still lose 3G. I had the Incredible and Droid1 before that and did not encounter this issue and I was taking the same route to work. This happens maybe 10 or 15 times on my 1hour trip to work. It's pretty annoying.

Upvote 0
Well, as Gadget suggested, it may be a software precautionary measure introduced by Motorola in an attempt to increase battery life and performance.

While on your way to work, try plugging your phone into a car charger if you have one, and enabling, "Stay Awake," in the Settings > Applcations > Development menu. This will force the phone's screen to stay on and you shouldn't lose your signal as long as you stay plugged in.

Upvote 0
OK Paycer, so after reading through the entire Battery life tips thread, the only thing that seems to be affecting 3G is what mode you have your Battery Manager in. There are three modes, Performance Mode, Smart Mode & Battery Saver Mode. The only two I've tried are Performance & Smart, and that was because I read that Batter Saver would shut off your 3G after a period of inactivity. The way I figure is this can't be an isolated incident and it can't be where I live, I get perfect reception almost everywhere, it has to be either a bug in the firmware or some unknown issue, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm up for trying them, thanks again for the help on this Paycer.

Upvote 0
OK Paycer, so after reading through the entire Battery life tips thread, the only thing that seems to be affecting 3G is what mode you have your Battery Manager in. There are three modes, Performance Mode, Smart Mode & Battery Saver Mode. The only two I've tried are Performance & Smart, and that was because I read that Batter Saver would shut off your 3G after a period of inactivity. The way I figure is this can't be an isolated incident and it can't be where I live, I get perfect reception almost everywhere, it has to be either a bug in the firmware or some unknown issue, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm up for trying them, thanks again for the help on this Paycer.

I've noticed the phone shuts off 3g in Smart mode if the battery gets below a certain point. Have you tried keeping it on Performance mode to see that helps?

Upvote 0
The only other thing I can think of is that coverage isn't very good in the areas surrounding your route to work. I mean, maybe it was when you had your previous phones, but something is obviously affecting the signal. I hate to say it, but it really might just be that the DX doesn't get very good reception in the areas you're trying to pass through. I'm sorry but I don't know what else to suggest. :(

Upvote 0
I don't think that's the case because I never have an issue connecting, it's staying connected that's the issue. It won't happen when I'm just surfing the internet, it's just when I try to stay connected without doing anything else on the phone for a period of time. So frustrating, if this keeps up and nothing fixes it, along with the bootloader, I may be on my way to the Galaxy S(Fascinate is a horrible name) whenever it comes out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones