1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Is there better instructions on how to Root+CTMod?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Old_Member, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Old_Member

Old_Member Guest
    None
    Just like the title, I want to root my prevail and now I have Windows 7 so I actually can but the instructions are short and don't describe much. Can anyone put all that great content from that "rooting for dummies" thread into this thread in a way I can understand so I can root my phone and install CTMod?:thinking:

Advertisement

2. vce2005

vce2005 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2012
    Male
    Clovis, NM
    HUH ? The the "Rooting the Prevail for Dummie Guide" is the best and most easiest way to root the Prevail. What part don't you understand ?

3. DaisFlaque

DaisFlaque Android Expert

Jan 20, 2012
    Male
    QualIT Computers LLC. Head Tech. <old new> owner a
    Sector 7 Slums
  4. BAleR187

BAleR187 Newbie
    None

Dec 28, 2012
    Male
    Oklahoma
    Everything you need is in each package, you just have to choose one that is rooted and has clockwork with it.

MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED BEFORE CONTINUING

1. Download one of the packages from the dummies thread. (preferably FE19 ROOTED W/ CW.)

2. Install the drivers, either 32 or 64bit. Make sure you get the right one for your pc...

3. Turn off your virus program, maybe even uninstall it. Reboot your PC.

4. Use 7zip to unzip FA19 ROOTED W/CW to a folder, open the folder, right click on "Odin Multi Downloader v4.43" and "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR".

5. Make sure "ONE PACKAGE" is UNCHECKED, while AUTO REBOOT, PROTECT OPS and RESET TIME is CHECKED.

6. Click OPS, goto the folder you unziped, direct it to the OPS file that is included in the package. (only use OPS file that is included with the specific package you are flashing.)

7. Click PHONE, direct it to the PHONE.tar, Click PDA direct it to the PDA.tar

8. Before you begin to flash, pull the battery out of the phone, pull out the SD card, hold down the volume down and camera button, plug it into your computer, the phone should go straight to download mode and you should see one of the COM ports in odin light up.

HIT START

Thats it, should take 5-10 mins, once Odin says reset and your phone trys to reboot your all done. Just pull the cord pop everything back in and boot her up. then you can make a backup and flash CTmod.

Steps for flashing CTmod -

Download CT3.75.2 FINAL and also SD2EXT4.zip and put them on the root of your SD card.

1. Power down the phone.

2. Hold the volume up and press the power button for a few seconds, you'll see "samsung" pop up, then once it goes away, let go of vol up.

You should now be in Clockworkmod Recovery

3. MAKE A BACKUP. Use the vol up/down buttons to navigate, use the home button to select.

4. When its done, go back to the main menu, do a DATA FACTORY RESET.

5. Then goto "Mounts and Storage" and format SYSTEM.

6. Got back to the main menu, select "install from sdcard", direct it to CT3.75.2 FINAL.zip. and select "yes". Let it do its thing, will take a few minutes.

When its done REBOOT the phone, if it goes back into the recovery, no biggie, just reboot again.

7. When everything is completely done rebooting,(you might get a su pop up, just allow it) BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, hit menu, then settings, and goto CTmod settings. Wait a few seconds, it'll ask for root rights, allow it. then goto "partition settings"

Make 2 partitions, each being about the same size, no more than 2 gigs each. prolly want to make them no more than 1gig each if you have a slow sdcard. (this will take a while, you might get the urge to stop it, don't, just let it go, it will finish.)

8. When thats done, go back to CTmod settings and select "kernel settings". Select "DATA" and hit apply changes" it'll tell you to reboot,
    Hold the power button, select power off. When the phone is off, boot back into recovery mode with vol up and power. Select "install from sdcard" select the SD2EXT4.zip and select "yes" to flash it. when its done, reboot the phone.

Thats it.

5. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    Male
    Master Technician
    south central fla
    Great write up! But I have never pulled battery or sd card and have used odin many times and never had a problem!
    As for installing ct and partitioning, well might want to make 4 incase ever want to run ssm. With a 16 I use fat 13770mb/ ext4 1126mb/ ext4 520mb/ swap 520 mb . I have like 150-200 apps and all its data and pics and videos, and 2 backups of cwm and 2 backups of twrp and still have 6.5gb free on sd, basically half! That is not too bad for a 16 card!

BAleR187 likes this.
  6. BAleR187

BAleR187 Newbie
    None

Dec 28, 2012
    Male
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! For every samsung phone I have ever flashed, I have always been told to flash this way. Minus all the new GS3's and such. but, that is the way I do it. just to be safe. I remember people wiping their sdcards on the original galaxy S phones.

Thanks for the the heads up on the partitioning, didn't know you could make more than 3.:thinking:

7. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    Male
    Master Technician
    south central fla
    Whatever works is fine! And Yes with sd parter in ct mod can make 3-4 or more if want!

8. VoltronMaximus

VoltronMaximus Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    Male
    Milwaukee
    Whats up with the SD2EXT file/install? When you install CTmod3.75.2, it comes with KK2.5 which supports data to sd. Or am I having a blonde moment?

9. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    Male
    Master Technician
    south central fla
    You are right, I missed that when reading. You don't need anything like that ct does it all for you!

10. vce2005

vce2005 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2012
    Male
    Clovis, NM
    .........but you need to turn DATA or SSM on after the install of CTMod....... By default it's turned off !!

11. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    Male
    entertainer
    grand rapids,mi
    The sd2ext is a zip that will format your sdext partition to ext4... this way you can ensure that it's properly formatted... (in case you chose ext2 or something by mistake)

DaisFlaque and BAleR187 like this.