• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there free activation through Verizon online?

dm33

Android Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2010
I'm trying to show up for new service with Verizon and get the Incredible.

But I cannot figure out if activation is free. I've had 3 online chats and have received different answers each time. In my last chat, they told me every possible answer, yes, no, depends, doesn't depend, what the website says, not what the website says.

I tried to order earlier today, and I thought on the checkout screen it said free activation.

Not sure whats changed. Now when I try it lists a $35 activation fee. But on the left of the screen is a box that says free activation, Friday-Monday, will be credited on 1st or 2nd bill.

Things I changed was logging in through my university website (discount), and trying a 1yr commitment.

I've been told several times that the free activation is only on a 2yr commitment. But I don't see it say that anywhere online.

This whole process is not inspiring confidence in Verizon. I cannot get an answer to a simple question about the supposed free activation. They make the rules overly complex and keep changing them. They reps are clueless. Reminds me too much of Sprint.

Edit:
I went back and removed cookies so I went through the website not through my university. Now I see a box at the bottom that says free activation. Details say online available on new 2-yr activations.
But that box doesn't show up when I login through my university URL. Could it be a special deal? Or just verizon website messed up?

im am not a new customer and doing 1 year upgrade as well and do not have to pay activation fee so i am not sure . hope you get it worked out. normally talking too customer service can get it taken caare of. they have always been great for me.
My problem is that I don't know whether to order with a 1 or 2yr commitment. For the extra $30 price on the Incredible, I'd get the 1yr commitment. But if it really costs me 30+35, $65, its not worth it to me for a 1yr commitment.

Upvote 0
Whoa. This makes my head spin. It just said $229.99 for a 1yr. Now it says $269.

The Verizon website changes by the minute. This is very nerve wracking.

This morning it said free activation during checkout. Like it wouldn't charge it at all.
Now it says $35.
A few minute ago said $229.99 for 1yr commitment, now it says $269.

A few days ago the terms implied you could return the phone on a new line with no restocking fee. Now the terms have changed to clearly state you always are charged a $35 restocking fee.

How do you ever know what you've signed up for. This is nuts.

Meanwhile I had someone at CS say they'd waive the activation fee for me after the fact. But who knows if they'd still be there and remember the conversation. Ya right.

I never had any of this runaround with AT&T and the iPhone. But no coverage :(
I guess pick your poison.

Upvote 0
I pre-ordered mine this morning and there was no activation fee to be found on my receipt.

i think they were waving the fee the 16-19 which is dumb considering the phone isnt due out for another week and a half

goodapollo;591547]if you are new to verizon you pay an activation fee. if you already have a plan then there is no activation fee. at least that is what customer service and a in-store csr explained to me[/QUOTE]

im not a new customer and doing a 1 year upgrade and still have to pay for an activation fee

Whoa. This makes my head spin. It just said $229.99 for a 1yr. Now it says $269.

The Verizon website changes by the minute. This is very nerve wracking.

This morning it said free activation during checkout. Like it wouldn't charge it at all.
Now it says $35.
A few minute ago said $229.99 for 1yr commitment, now it says $269.

A few days ago the terms implied you could return the phone on a new line with no restocking fee. Now the terms have changed to clearly state you always are charged a $35 restocking fee.

How do you ever know what you've signed up for. This is nuts.

Meanwhile I had someone at CS say they'd waive the activation fee for me after the fact. But who knows if they'd still be there and remember the conversation. Ya right.

I never had any of this runaround with AT&T and the iPhone. But no coverage :(
I guess pick your poison.

Upvote 0
Absolutely amazing.

I just tried it again, with a 2yr commitment, it showed FREE activation during checkout, unlike the $35 its been doing all afternoon.

When I switched to 1yr commitment, it shows $229.99 again like it had all day, except for a few minutes ago when it said $269.99.

Verizon's website is very screwed up.

Upvote 0
Absolutely amazing.

I just tried it again, with a 2yr commitment, it showed FREE activation during checkout, unlike the $35 its been doing all afternoon.

When I switched to 1yr commitment, it shows $229.99 again like it had all day, except for a few minutes ago when it said $269.99.

Verizon's website is very screwed up.
The $229.99 was a mistake. I believe it was supposed to be linked to NE2, but went live for the "standard" price.

Upvote 0
The $229.99 was a mistake. I believe it was supposed to be linked to NE2, but went live for the "standard" price.

I still often see $229 for 1yr commitment. Other times $269.

But is there an activation fee Friday-Monday for a 1yr commitment?

I'm leaning towards the 1 yr commitment. I had a CS rep tell me he'd reverse the activation fee if it showed up. But it seems best to wait until Friday and have more of a leg to stand on defending why I shouldn't pay activation.

Do you have to pay activation if you switch phones on the same line? That would reek. On AT&T/Tmo its just swap a SIM card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones