• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is There Good Unlock App To Replace Pressing Power Button?

I use ScreenModeWidget - and I keep it in AwakeStay mode. Allows my screen to go off, and clicking any physical button (I use camera button) brings the screen back up.

So far this is working, however it does not allow you use the screen lock for unauthorized access prevention. It only turns off the screen, when you hit the camera button, the last screen you were on pops right up.

It only uses physical buttons. Not the capacitive buttons along the bottom.

Zilla

Upvote 0
So far this is working, however it does not allow you use the screen lock for unauthorized access prevention. It only turns off the screen, when you hit the camera button, the last screen you were on pops right up.

It only uses physical buttons. Not the capacitive buttons along the bottom.

Zilla

Is this the app here that you are talking about?
Awake and ScreenOn Widget v1.2 Application for Android | Tools

I cannot get that to show any icon, I install it and says success but how do I access it or anything, there is no icon anywhere...

Upvote 0
No - look for 'screen mode widget'.

The buttons along bottom don't apply - I use the camera button. If you want to actually *lock* the phone, there are plenty of apps for a one - touch lock. Or you can put screen mode widget into normal state and just let it timeout. Works beautifully for me.

There isn't a widget anywhere, weird.
Is this even the right one?
http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-ooha-awakewidget-zwEp.aspx

It shows up as an installed app when I go to look at my apps but no icon anywhere else.
Maybe I am not using the right one...

Upvote 0
search market for screenmodewidget all together. download. pick one of the 3 home screens. hold finger down on screen. menu pops up. choose widgets. choos SMW. tada.

Ah thank you so much, I am not very quick sometimes.

But this widget will just stop responding, like after a little while it won't react to pressing it and it won't change states. I can click and drag it but that's all.

Maybe it's just an issue with the Droid, do you have this problem also?

Upvote 0
Since installing dxtop, I've noticed that the screen is on and a swipe unlock is required when I pull the phone from the holster.

I'm hitting the camera or volume buttons when I pick it up, and that turns on the screen and requests the swipe. Don't have to find the itty bitty power button.

Don't think you could do this w/ security pattern, though, since the security pattern is part of the default home.

Good tip above about sliding the slider a tad to activate, as well...

Upvote 0
I have been working on an app recently that does what I think you are looking for. Though I am still in the early stages of development, it works best on Motorola Droid phones as that is all I have to test with.

Search the Market for ShakeIt. I have a couple of different options there, but the two that might apply here is ShakeTo.. Awake or ShakeTo.. Unlock. One turns the screen on, and the other unlocks the screen if the screen is on though you can't do both right now.

I will be releasing an update tonight for it as well, to add in some calibration for the shake so it doesn't turn on so easily.

Let me know your experiences.

Thanks,
Andrew

Upvote 0
Shakeit seems to work good. How about adding shake-to-sleep... :)

Yeah that was another idea of something I was working towards, just haven't gotten there yet. I eventually want to have the ability within the app to be able to do just about anything on the phone with a shake, like Enable Wifi/Bluetooth and stuff like that. As long as there is enough demand and support behind it, I'll keep working on it.

I actually got the idea from a thread on the Android Applications forum here. Started writing it last week in my off time.

Upvote 0
Yup, you're both right. I noticed it last night after I installed the latest 2.0.1 firmware myself.

It kills my service that runs in the background when the screen is off, so it can't listen for shake's. Hopefully it won't be too hard to fix and I'll have another update for it soon.

Thanks for helping find it.

I think the shaketounlock part still works, but obviously the shaketoawake quit, which is what I prefer anyway.

Upvote 0
Yeah that was another idea of something I was working towards, just haven't gotten there yet. I eventually want to have the ability within the app to be able to do just about anything on the phone with a shake, like Enable Wifi/Bluetooth and stuff like that. As long as there is enough demand and support behind it, I'll keep working on it.

I actually got the idea from a thread on the Android Applications forum here. Started writing it last week in my off time.

Did you ever get this to work again with the new update?;););)

Upvote 0
Just an FYI, with all of those apps which replace the "lock screen" (other then the pattern unlock built into Android) -- they /will/ drain you battery. The CPU is never allowed to suspend fully (it's in a constant wake lock). So, just a heads up if you wonder why your battery is less than normal while running these all the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones