• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there not one decent ringtone or did I miss something?

mikeb33

Jan 2, 2010
I just want my Galaxy S3 to ring like a phone!. Every other smartphone before had at least 1 normal "ring" sound. The S3 doesn't seem to have any.They all sound like wind, rain, guitars, etc. Is it too much to ask for a phone to ring?

I don't want to download and install some "free" ringtone app that put ads on my phone.

I liked the ringtones on the DroidX. How did you copy them from your Incredible?

The DX ringtones may be in a different location, but this is how I got to mine on the Incredible. I'm sure it's the same basic idea.

Using Astro file manager (not sure if the DX has its own built-in file manager)...

1. Click "up" until you can't go up anymore and look for the "system" folder and open it.
  2. Look for the "media" folder and open that.
  3. Open the "audio" folder to see the folders for alarms, notifications, etc.
  4. Do what your file manager does to copy the folders and paste them to your (DX's) external sd card (or any directory that you can easily find).
  5. Transfer the sound files you put on the sd card to folders on the S3. I just had both of my phones hooked up on my computer and copied files between the two. I don't know if it matters where, but I just copied the sound files into "ringtone" and "alarm" folders that I made on the S3's internal memory. The sounds should show up right alongside the crappy ones. :)
It's probably easier to use Zedge if it has the sounds you're looking for, but I didn't know about it at the time. This is really just a simple copy and paste job, though. I just have a round about way of explaining things!

Reactions: qetuop and Ron H
Upvote 0
Sorry for what may be a dumb question, but Zedge is an app that once used for configuration of ringtones and wallpapers, it doesn't continue to run and suck up battery, right?

If I select a Zedge ringtone and use it, Zedge itself does not need to always be running, right?

Correct. If you wish, you can download ringtones (and wallpapers) through Zedge, and then uninstall the app without losing what you've downloaded.

Reactions: Vitiator
Upvote 0
The DX ringtones may be in a different location, but this is how I got to mine on the Incredible. I'm sure it's the same basic idea.

Using Astro file manager (not sure if the DX has its own built-in file manager)...

1. Click "up" until you can't go up anymore and look for the "system" folder and open it.
  2. Look for the "media" folder and open that.
  3. Open the "audio" folder to see the folders for alarms, notifications, etc.
  4. Do what your file manager does to copy the folders and paste them to your (DX's) external sd card (or any directory that you can easily find).
  5. Transfer the sound files you put on the sd card to folders on the S3. I just had both of my phones hooked up on my computer and copied files between the two. I don't know if it matters where, but I just copied the sound files into "ringtone" and "alarm" folders that I made on the S3's internal memory. The sounds should show up right alongside the crappy ones. :)
It's probably easier to use Zedge if it has the sounds you're looking for, but I didn't know about it at the time. This is really just a simple copy and paste job, though. I just have a round about way of explaining things!

Thank you for the detailed instructions; I really appreciate them.

Upvote 0
I just want my Galaxy S3 to ring like a phone!. Every other smartphone before had at least 1 normal "ring" sound. The S3 doesn't seem to have any.They all sound like wind, rain, guitars, etc. Is it too much to ask for a phone to ring?

I don't want to download and install some "free" ringtone app that put ads on my phone.
HI All,

to down load 'Normal Ringtones' I went on Google + & choose Old Ringtones & it the down loaded to my phone via W Fi as i have already log on with Google. Hope this helps I have 45 different normal Ringtones to my 'Music Player' section under 'Rings'

Saxblower

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones